Heading up to the Coleman Seracs

JBo6

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up... Went up there a couple of days ago. Due to the heavy rains, previous snow fall, and warm temps, the last stream before the split in the trail was about 60ft wide and SERIOUSLY pissed off. There was even a group of search and rescue people doing training or something that had to turn around. So... If the weather is any better, you shouldnt have a problem, but if we have a repeat of last weekend, save yourselves the drive..

Just a heads up... Went up there a couple of days ago. Due to the heavy rains, previous snow fall, and warm temps, the last stream before the split in the trail was about 60ft wide and SERIOUSLY pissed off. There was even a group of search and rescue people doing training or something that had to turn around. So... If the weather is any better, you shouldnt have a problem, but if we have a repeat of last weekend, save yourselves the drive..

no way to cross it? I have some hip waders can do stuff about 2 ft deep.

I'm up for the ice climbing on the Coleman, Sat or Sun whichever is the better weather. PM me.

It's always possible to cross this stream. unfortunately, it requires taking the climber's trail up to near Heliotrope and traversing at ~6000', then dropping back down to the trail once across. I did set up a tyrolean across it once, but it required rappelling the creek and then tensioning the rope. A permanent tyrolean would be appreciated, but not within USFS regulations.

edit: i misread and thought you mean the last crossing--which can look like this:

CrossRiverSeq3.jpg

Edited by kurthicks

I went up there last weekend and the widest stream was like 8ft, it was dicey due to iced up rocks. But that was with not much rain the couple days before.

It wouldn't be that hard to go to 6,000 and traverse, your already at 5,500 where you cross lower down. It's about 2-1/4 miles to where the lower crossing splits from the main trail.