Tricam Gear Tags

Valhallas

Silly little question: how do you all mark your tricams? I use those premade trango gear tags for all my biners, cams, etc. I'm skeptical that they will remain affixed to the webbing portion of a tricam and there's not really any space on the metal part that won't be in direct contact with rock at some point.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most experienced climbers seem to choose one of the three options:

1) Leave the damn things at home.

2) Give the useless things away.

3) Never buy them in the first place.

(PS go get some paint markers at your local art supply store and use those on the metal ;) )

You could use the paint markers as suggested.

Paint the part of the tricam that has the slight indentation for the webbing to run through and it should stay bright, shiny and new for a long time.

How often do any of you guys use these?

I have one I have been bringing along for a few years and I think I have placed it once or twice.

Thanks for the responses. I just bought two of them for $12 total last weekend at the used gear shop in Winthrop, mostly because I just want to learn how to use them. I feel like I've seen more fixed tricams out there than any other type of gear, so 1) they are either hard to place well and easy to fix, or 2) people don't know how to place them. I've heard that some people love them, so I'd like to give them a shot.

Ignorant buffoons, tricams, at least in the smaller sizes, are splendid devices that work in the damnedest places. I knew folks in Tucson who'd always bring three each of pinkie & red when climbing on Mt Lemmon. Of course, that was before they bolted the bejesus out of things and the rack list got simpler.

Tricams require craft, I don't leave home without 'em. Your second better have a nut tool and an ability to visualize in 3d though.

I learned on the things and carried the small and big ones for years as I worked my way from 5.6 to 5.8 and slowly bought cams.

Then I got serious and decided it was time to cut the crap and concentrate on the stuff that worked well, was easy to use and fit in the the most placements. Now I lead 5.11 on nuts and cams.

There is an art to the perfect tri cam placement, but it usually involves finding the perfect odd pod next to a good stance where you can hang out and fiddle one in and there is a high probability you will get them stuck or have them fall out entirely while you are learning...they are the MG's of climbing pro (fun only if you enjoy fiddling with them).

Silly little question: how do you all mark your tricams? I use those premade trango gear tags for all my biners, cams, etc. I'm skeptical that they will remain affixed to the webbing portion of a tricam and there's not really any space on the metal part that won't be in direct contact with rock at some point.

Maybe you can use some rainbow brite paint so it matches your purse, princess :ghey:

Maybe you can use some rainbow brite paint so it matches your purse, princess :ghey:

Yeah, wow, I really feel burned by you there. Keep up the good work.

Ignorant buffoons, tricams, at least in the smaller sizes, are splendid devices that work in the damnedest places. I knew folks in Tucson who'd always bring three each of pinkie & red when climbing on Mt Lemmon. Of course, that was before they bolted the bejesus out of things and the rack list got simpler.

Tricams require craft, I don't leave home without 'em. Your second better have a nut tool and an ability to visualize in 3d though.

WORD!! WORD!!!

You are brilliant. A master I would say. I just love Tri-cams. They require you to use you head. And in the right place they are bomb proof X10.

I usually mark my tricams with a little bit of appropriately coloured tape in the recessed area that the webbing runs through. Works okay, but not great. I just keep an eye on them and make sure my sketchy partners don't swipe them.

I thought tricams were pretty decent until I stiffened mine with some plastic strips from milkjugs and duct tape - and now I LOVE them. Stiffening them makes it possible to place them one handed. If you're on the fence about tricams, try stiffening them and you'll be firmly in the "I love tricams" camp.

I have not marked mine because no one else uses them.

So they never get mixed up with anyone else's gear.

Plaidman

Dude that's BS - You used my #7 to build an anchor just a few months ago. and don't forget the aid traverse on the oh so scary .25 white tricam.

(I use Bill Coe's idea to mark my gear - enamel model paint to mark all my metal, 2 colors, I make a green eye - big green blotch with a black pupil. Sometimes a climbing partner will bring me some random piece I didn't even know I lost - thanks dudes. Don't forget to mark your pitons as those fuckers all look alike.)

Never climbed in the Gunks or any where with a lot of pockets eh? Tri-cams are still very useful, but can be difficult to place and remove, however they're light and cheap!

Most experienced climbers seem to choose one of the three options:

1) Leave the damn things at home.

2) Give the useless things away.

3) Never buy them in the first place.

(PS go get some paint markers at your local art supply store and use those on the metal ;) )