Drilling holes in Hexcentrics...

sklag

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To make them lighter, How many is too many? Does this weaken them, and reduce their fall rating? (dumb question)

Then why ask it? Yes, removing metal from a metallic system can weaken the metallic system. And depending on where you remove it from, relative to how it loads when catching a fall, you could seriously diminish its performance.

you must be doing something so amazing to save weight by doing that. i understand long-distance hikers cutting the toothbrush handle off, eating only dry cold food, etc.. but their life is not in jeopardy by drilling holes in things, cutting straps off, etc..only comfort compromised.

drilling in climbing gear sounds not worth it. how much drilling would save you how much weight? and would that be worth the risk?...

the old hexes from the seventies were made with thicker aluminum, and yes, they were drilled, but by Chouinard, not us climbers. I still carry a few of them.

The new hexes he started making in the eighties were made from thinner aluminum...I assume they weighed the same as the thicker drilled ones with equal strength. I personally would not drill a hex that has already been designed for maximum strength to weight ratio.

the old hexes from the seventies were made with thicker aluminum, and yes, they were drilled, but by Chouinard, not us climbers. I still carry a few of them.

The new hexes he started making in the eighties were made from thinner aluminum...I assume they weighed the same as the thicker drilled ones with equal strength. I personally would not drill a hex that has already been designed for maximum strength to weight ratio.

As I understand it, Chouinard learn to drill them from climbers who were drilling the early ones. They use to make a template for climbers to do this themselves. Then Chouinard started drilling them out at the factory. Then they got tired of drilling and just lightened the material. If you have the new hexes, then drilling them may be unnecessary and weaken them as the weight of the early ones was engineered out.

Depends which generation of hexes you have....

I would imagine that you could drill holes in strategic locations in the thin wall hexes and not significantly affect their strength. Look at the difference in weight between the current camalots and the last generation; partially realized due to greater lightening of the cam lobes.

To do so safely would require analytical tools not available to most.