Steck Salathe

Plaidman

I am headed down to the Valley for a run up Snake Dike and plan to get on some Valley off-widths to practice for the Steck Salathe.

While doing some reading about the route I ran across this.

"To practice for the Steck-Salathé, crawl across asphalt parking lots in the summer, on your knees and elbows." — Dingus Milktoast.

It is still hot enough around here I think to practice for a while.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good prep circuit for the Steck:

Ne butt of higher

gripper

entrance exam

midterm

rt. side of the cookie

ahab

wire these and Steck will seem easy. Sort of. :)

entrance exam

and midterm were on the list.

Also Doggie Diversions and Doggie Do on the Camp 4 Wall.

Thanks for the list.

I did the route last summer, $0.02=

Generator is a great practice crack, also Ahab, but the best practice pitch specifically for SS is probably Entrance Exam. Do Midterm while you're there too. Doing 1096 right-side-in would be good training for the Wilson Overhang (and way longer/harder than Wilson). Sacherer Cracker is good training for anything. Moby Dick center is similar size/angle to (but harder than)the 5.8+OW pitch in the first half. Best long route prep would be NEB. Elevator Shaft is similar to the easier back-foot style chimneys on the upper pitches.

Cruxes are very short, but the ratings (updated supertopo ratings) are pretty bang-on and on par with other valley stuff of same rating. The first pitch is a good indicator of how the rest will feel, mostly cruising with occasional 10ft sections of hard fought ground.

The two manky old rivets on the crux pitch below the narrows were replaced earlier this year by Brutus (RIP).

Someone said train fists, but I disagree. I can only remember one pitch with any fists and it was the one after the rap, maybe 5.9 with good stemming and a variety of jamming, definitely not a sustained fist crack or anything.

If you can get up Ahab and Generator without issues, you should be more than fine, those are both way harder than anything on the SS. Biggest deal with SS is that pitch after pitch of fairly physical climbing adds up over 15 or whatever pitches.

Great route, feels like an alpine rock route more than a valley route.

Thanks Will. That was the kind of info I was looking for.

I want to be solid with the test pieces on this trip before I fire off on the SS. My plan do the test pieces. Come back with the info on what I need to work on during the winter and then hit it next season after doing something on El Cap.

We will see.

Plaidman

Edited by Plaidman