Edukashunal rant (for Ivan)

billcoe

Found online ad thought you could use some pointers on filling out little baby Bubbas report card comments section:-)

"These are actual comments made on students' report cards by teachers in the New York City public school system. All teachers were reprimanded.

1. Since my last report, your child has reached rock bottom and has started to dig.

2. I would not allow this student to breed.

3. Your child has delusions of adequacy.

4. Your son is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

5. Your son sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.

6. The student has a 'full six-pack' but lacks the plastic thing to hold it all together.

7. This child has been working with glue too much.

8. When your daughter's IQ reaches 50, she should sell.

9. The gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.

10. If this student were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week.

11. It's impossible to believe the sperm that created this child beat out 1,000,000 others.

12. The wheel is turning but the hamster is definitely dead."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in grade school the eight grade teacher would get too high on downers and pass out at his desk.

The 7th grade teacher had a brain tumor pop up half way through the year and rather than die as a vegetable, he drove off a curve at 104mph. His replacement talked about how he had to fight with his students during his student teaching. One he even used a lead pipe. We all wondered how these guys got through college. And in those days we outscored the asians in Math and Science.

Maybe teachers these days just need a lead pipe.

• 3 weeks later...
When I was in grade school the eight grade teacher would get too high on downers and pass out at his desk.

The 7th grade teacher had a brain tumor pop up half way through the year and rather than die as a vegetable, he drove off a curve at 104mph. His replacement talked about how he had to fight with his students during his student teaching. One he even used a lead pipe. We all wondered how these guys got through college. And in those days we outscored the asians in Math and Science.

Sounds like jail time for sure Bug

they still make lead pipes? aren't those, like, dangerous or somethign?

maybe them asians finally put all their shit back together after ww2, eh, and it just turned out that treading water, w/ a lead-pipe no less, didn't exactly work as a long-range plan? :)

the fact that many students do well despite crappy teachers is excellent evidence for the importance of intrinsic motivation in students, the motivation they bring to the table, over the extrinsic motivation, the magic, that we assume god-like teachers can use to suddenly convince little johnny that shooting crank and having sex w/ his cousin isn't half as cool as doing calculus :)

i have a gibbon quote on my wall at school:

"but the power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy, except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superflous."

gibbon probably got the crap beat out of him on a daily basis for the first 20 years of his life though :grin:

• 3 weeks later...