Special Rap Rings?

Colin

I like to use rap rings whenever rappelling with ropes of vastly different diameters (usually a 9.1-9.7mm single rope, with a 4.5-6.0mm rap line). If the knot is always set to pull the skinny rope then the rap ring prevents the knot from moving, and, if the rap ring is small enough, it is a safety backup for the chance of the super-skinny rap-line getting cut (because the knot jams against the rap ring, and the main rope is still intact).

However, for it to work as a safety backup, it needs to be certain that the knot cannot pass through the rap ring, and with the skinny ropes these days I feel that is not 100% certain with the standard size rap rings.

Thus, I am trying to find smaller-than-normal rap rings. I remember bootying an oval-shaped rap ring off of Snow Creek Wall years ago that would have been perfect, but I have no idea who manufactured it. These Omega ones I believe have a smaller than normal inner radius (http://www.omegapac.com/op_climbing_rings.html), but at 34 grams they are heavier than a good carabiner!

Anyone have any good recommendations? Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This should meet your weight requirements. Add a little duct tape and good to go. 6626.jpg

LOL! Ultralight!

Climbmax has some small custom ones that would work if you tie a regular knot (I believe) and they are selling them for A BUCK EACH!!!!!! They should increase the price to $2 IMO, and they already may have. Don't see them on the web site: http://www.climbmaxmountaineering.com/

I see they still have Kong pitons for $1.99 though on the closeout and special link. Just email them, good people.

Interesting assignment.

I will go to some hardware stores here in Vancouver to see is there anything matching your requirements. Ring must be about 20g (half of Omega), diameter of Omega and probably aluminum. Little less than 28KN. Maybe 20.

I hope somebody will respond soon with an idea where to find rap ring like this. I would like to have that on my rack.