Mother and child busted for riding bike to school

HappyCamper

School officials in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., reprimanded a mother and her 12-year-old son for riding their bicycles to school on national Bike to Work day and confiscated the boy's bike, according to a story in The Saratogian.

Janette Kaddo Marino and her son, Adam, 12, pedaled the seven miles from their home to Maple Avenue Middle School.

"After they arrived, mother and son were approached first by school security and then school administrators, who informed Marino that students are not permitted to ride their bikes to school," the story said. "School officials took her son's bike and stored it in the boiler room. They told her she would have to return with a car to retrieve the bike later in the day."

It's a matter of safety, Principal Stuart Byrne told the paper.

"I would be a nervous wreck every day if kids were riding to school," he said. "Traffic isn't bumper to bumper, but it's non-stop."

Byrne said he also worries about children traveling unsupervised through the community.

The Saratoga Springs school district did not apply for any of the $2 million that the New York State Department of Transportation awarded through its Safe Routes to School program, which awards money to districts to improve pedestrian and bicycle access.

"I personally encouraged them to apply, but I was told that the school board policy considered it unsafe to walk or bike, and the policy is only to bus (kids to and from school)," Raj Malhotra, the DOT's program coordinator for the Capital Region, told the paper.

Seattle PI article

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they break a law?

Apparently reading comprehension wasn't a big subject at your school but hopefully they at least let you ride a bike.

Are you assuming I read the link? I did not. The original words posted talk about some asshole being afraid and a “nervous wreck” (that is his problem), but it does not mention that a law was broken. So Pete …..did they break a law?

THIS IS A TRAVESTY!!!! A MOCKERY OF A SHAM OF A SHAM OF A MOCKERY! THIS AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND! I DEMAND HAIR PEACE NOW! FREE TIBET! FREE NELSON MANDELA! GAY MARRIAGE! NO NEW TAXES! 1000 VIRGINS! FREE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE! FREE ABORTION! FREE THE SEX PISTOLS!

I imagine it was a school policy therefore...

If the policy states no "riding" the bike to school, simply ride the bike to the edge of school property then get off and push it the rest of the way to the bike rack.

What if you bring your kid to school in your car and happen to have your kid's bike on a rack on the car? Can the school confiscate the bike?

Scenarios scenarios.

And then, and then....

Huh huh Huh-choooo!

Thanks for the link, Pax. Interesting (but not unexpected). Having been to California more than a few times in the last three years, I can attest to the lameness of urban sprawl for purposes of walking to destinations.

What's really ironic is the fact that I read through the report while eating Pringles...out of a super-size can...while slouched at my computer.