HTF did I do this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Separated AC and fractured scapula. I have never even heard of a broken scapula. Might not be climbing for a while. Anyone have a similar injury? Prolly not the scapula but how about the AC? What kinda time are we talking about here?

Ouch! Ouch! WTF - were you and your buddies tossing each other around on the mat or what? I had a grade II AC seperatation that did not heal. Had a year of PT and it still hurt like hell to reach up for a glass off a shelf. Finally had the distal clavicle resection - translation - cut off about an inch or so of the end of my clavicle and make it a floating joint. I had two orthopedics recommend the same operation. One option I might have tried but did not know about at the time is prolotherapy. Anyway - no problems - ever, with the shoulder. Climbing, weight-lifting, and a couple flying Ws off the mountain bike.

Separated AC and fractured scapula. I have never even heard of a broken scapula. Might not be climbing for a while. Anyone have a similar injury? Prolly not the scapula but how about the AC? What kinda time are we talking about here?

I find it amazing you don't know how you did it! Rough boyz? We were out wandering in the semi-wilderness once with one of my favorite college professors, Dr. Jakob Freid, the anthropologist. He trips on a root and rolled down a short hill towards me below. He did a couple of full on somersaults over some rocks and luckily I was where I was as I grabbed him and stopped him just before he rolled into the Wind River, which was raging: high and cold. He sits there and the first words he says were "I broke my scapula". He repeated it a few times for effect as sweat ran like rivulets off his face and chin. I'm like thinking WTF is that and how does he even know? Anyway, to make short story long, we needed to do some mandatory rock climbing that involved both hands to get out. To fall would be to die, no question. A rescue in there would have been involved, slow and complicated. Jakob insists on trying it over my strong objections. I tied my polyro shirt around his neck to make a sling so he could stop cradling it and free up his good arm, and myself and another climber squeeze jobbed him on both sides and took turns pushing him into the rock so he could move his good arm to a new handhold: to the sounds of pain coming from Jakob. Eventually the pain and struggle paid off and we did the hike out to the the car and the hospital. They tell him he's got a broken scapula, and I think it was 5 or 6 months they wanted him to immoblize it. However, he was in his 60's then, and I don't think he did much for about 2 months and then he was back to normal. I almost forgotten about that, what a remarkable man he was.

Good luck with it Scott :wave:

I separated my clavicle and my shoulder bone flying over the handlebars of my bike about three years ago. I can sort of noticeably see it but I dont feel it anymore.

I've sustained the exact same injury the exact same way. Used to feel a little aching in cold weather the first few years, but that went away. It hasn't been a problem. I sucked at climbing before the injury; I still sucked afterwards.

I know how I did it. Fell/ got pushed off a building during a training op. It was only like 12 feet but it was on hard clay and not very forgiving. I just know that the scapula is a pretty solid bone; takes a lot to break it. Oh well, Still gonna try and run the marathon tomorrow. Should be comical anyhow. I think that 50/50 is good odds on whether or not I will finish it.

Your scapula probably took a lot of the force of the fall; saving your ligaments, muscles, and tendons from having to. My guess is that you're way better off; the scapula should knit back together no problem. The other stuff wouldn't.

Heal up all good and nice, now. With any luck you'll get a cool permanent lump out of the deal.