Olympia Bouldering

jibby

If anyone has any info on boulders within 45mins of olympia i would like to know. i found some in Skommunchuck off of Johnson Creek road. There also is a TR at the boulder location. thanks! Also there is one on the Mt. Elanor trail I'm pretty sure.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost twenty years ago (!) I remember scrubbing and bouldering around on a mossy boulder in the woods near my girlfriends house. It even had an ancient rusty 1/4"er on top. In retrospect that's the only evidence I can recall that it might be climbable. I can't remember if it's 4' tall or 40'. Good luck.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=

103657142390340050646.000461f3fc9c999fa1b6b

I think that's pretty much the story Dru. There's another one in the parking area of the quarry just south of Tenino on the way out to the freeway. They found it in the alluvial gravel quarry, took their two largest loaders to move it. It's perhaps 12' tall, has maybe a dozen problems on it? I haven't tried climbing on it since that quarry changed hands.

Jimmy, dollars to donuts says that's out by Fossil...

Jimmy, it is behind a fence, in a quarry. As you leave Tenino, south bound, follow old 99 under the railroad bridge, and it starts to head east toward the freeway. (not southbound 507) on the left of the road, I'd say less than a mile from the railroad bridge, is the quarry/gravel pit.

Can you tell me where 'kalach beach' is? you feature it on redpointfilm.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I was just reflecting on what an oxymoron "Olympia Bouldering" is. You might try the sandstone blocks on the old steam plant on Capitol Lake, you'll find the stone familiar. BITD we could even put a top rope on that thing, though I don't know that this more paranoid age would accept that.

The old quarry at Skookumchuck Lake is also active and all those old routes are blown up and in someone's yard or bulkhead.

A friend and I tried to get there once but apparantly we took the wrong route and ended up on the other side of the Res.

Oh well, I am tempted to head back there and check out the fresh rock, I bet there are alot of Zeolites going to waste!

Good memories of Skookumchuck Quarry.

---------------

If you tromp around the brush and deep backwoods in the Fossil Rock area (not near the areas where everyone climbs these days), you'll see what I'd deem could be some of the better bouldering in Wasington someday- Lots of small features on really steep stone.

-although I haven't climbed at fossil for perhaps 15 years now.

The old growth forest is amazing. Kind of like of prehistory.