Cuba Trade Embargo

Fairweather

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Seems a little disingenuous that with some autocratic regimes like China or Vietnam we're saying that economic and cultural engagement is the best way to bring change to that system whereas with another we're saying that isolation is the best. Time to accept that the embargo is a relic of a by-gone era.

Yes.

Free trade economics will slowly change that little island community into a democracy....slowly...

Free trade economics are starting to change small communities in China.

Think Russia will abandon it current market conditions?

We get baseball players and cee-gars. They get to work at Planet Hollywood Havana.

it would be nice to be able to buy Cuban rum and cig's legally, yet alone vacation there :-)

Not a problem here: we been holidayin' and rummin' and cigarin' all these past 40-some years :moondance:

Heck, we're hoping the embargo stays, else the beaches are gonna get all crowded and noisy. As it stands, it's one of the few places we can go to get away from you Yanks, and we kinda like it that way :grin:

The embargo is keeping Fidel Castro alive and is the source of his powers. Get rid of it and he will melt away like the wicked witch.

I watched a program on Cuba recently where many of the Cubans interviewed spoke of their government blaming everything from electricity outages to a lack of medical treatment on "the embargo". Take away that excuse and the regime loses one of the legs upon which it stands.

it would be nice to be able to buy Cuban rum and cig's legally, yet alone vacation there :-)

Not a problem here: we been holidayin' and rummin' and cigarin' all these past 40-some years :moondance:

Heck, we're hoping the embargo stays, else the beaches are gonna get all crowded and noisy. As it stands, it's one of the few places we can go to get away from you Yanks, and we kinda like it that way :grin:

I'd tell you to "go to Hell", but there'd be a plurality of us there as well.

yeah, and with your ridiculous taxation, I am prone to not buy said beverages or smokes while visiting Kanuckistan due to the price.

But if you didn't live under such a repressive regime, your government wouldn't make it against the law to go to Cuba (or anywhere else, for that matter), so you could take your vacation there, legally, and smoke your cigar and drink your rum, on the beach, in Cuba, legally. Just like we've been doing for 40-some years, perfectly legally.

It's one of the benefits of living in what's called a "free" country: you can travel to any other country you want, any time you want, as long as that country is willing to let you in, without fear of criminal prosecution on your return home. It's strange to you Americans, I know, but you really ought to give it a try - you may come to like it, once you get used to it. :P

yeah, and with your ridiculous taxation, I am prone to not buy said beverages or smokes while visiting Kanuckistan due to the price.

How big of a factor IS the taxation -- and how much does it vary? I have bought Cubans in duty free shops and they are still very expensive. And I believe my brother paid nearly as much for some Cuban smokes in Mexico just as a few weeks ago as you would in downtown Vancouver. (Maybe not quite as much, but they were seriously expensive.) Anyway, you don't have to buy them if they come onto the American market, and I'm sure our taxes will compete with any Canadian tax, but I agree the embargo should end.

How big of a factor IS the taxation -- and how much does it vary? I have bought Cubans in duty free shops and they are still very expensive. And I believe my brother paid nearly as much for some Cuban smokes in Mexico just as a few weeks ago as you would in downtown Vancouver. (Maybe not quite as much, but they were seriously expensive.) Anyway, you don't have to buy them if they come onto the American market, and I'm sure our taxes will compete with any Canadian tax, but I agree the embargo should end.

Apples to apples any liquor sold in the US is significantly more $$ in Canuckistan.

Except for duty free of course.