Janet Reno back at homeland security director post

billcoe

You are right about the expected rough ride and also about the lack of leadership on the Democrats' part, j_b, but do you REALLY expect Obama to lead a big sweep of Washington? I certainly hope he's going to put a new color on things and I expect we will see some real but modest changes in policy and priorities, but I doubt he's going to take apart the military industrial complex, cut the disparity in income between rich and poor by a huge percentage, or turn America green over night. Howard Zinn is not on the transition team.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of room betwen Zinn and the team he is putting together. I was hoping he'd at least plant the necessary seeds of change but by reappointing the people who played a significant part in the mess we have today, I doubt it will be possible. Human societies are reaching tipping points that cannot be put off any longer.

The Anthropocene: Are Humans Now

Overwhelming the Great Forces of Nature?

Will Steffen, Paul J. Crutzen and John R. McNeill

We explore the development of the Anthropocene, the

current epoch in which humans and our societies have

become a global geophysical force. The Anthropocene

began around 1800 with the onset of industrialization, the

central feature of which was the enormous expansion in

the use of fossil fuels. We use atmospheric carbon

dioxide concentration as a single, simple indicator to track

the progression of the Anthropocene. From a preindustrial

value of 270–275 ppm, atmospheric carbon dioxide

had risen to about 310 ppm by 1950. Since then the

human enterprise has experienced a remarkable explosion,

the Great Acceleration, with significant consequences

for Earth System functioning. Atmospheric CO2

concentration has risen from 310 to 380 ppm since

1950, with about half of the total rise since the preindustrial

era occurring in just the last 30 years. The Great

Acceleration is reaching criticality. Whatever unfolds, the

next few decades will surely be a tipping point in the

evolution of the Anthropocene.

Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences 2007

Ambio Vol. 36, No. 8, December 2007

Omama is my president. I don't expect to like everything he does, hopefully, it's better than it has been with the last dude in there. I am going to not backbite the guy, although it may seem that way on occasion.

I'm praying he does the right things and keeps the country safe, cause everything after that is a pony ride. From all accounts, it looks good to me.

Sorry if anyone don't like it, but that thats the way to be IMO.

Hey tomtom: good to see you. I was hoping you'd come back to defend your assertion that Obama ran just as sleazy a smear campaign against McCain as McCain ran against him! Let's see it. Meanwhile, I'd have to say that I doubt Obama has a place in his office for Monica, but maybe that is just me. You could be right.

Here is Andrew Sullivan's take on another agent of change:

We didn’t work our butts off to elect Obama only to get Bush another four years at CIA. If Brennan emerges as the pick, those of us against the continuation of war crimes and the prosecution of war criminals will have to oppose him strenuously in the nomination process. We will, in fact, have to go to war with Obama before he even takes office.

Here is Brennan's wikipedia entry - dig the close Bush connection.

Yes more change is coming. The question is who are the real dupes.

The real dupes? The voting public.

But in terms of the most critical fundamental principles, there is no difference whatsoever between the Republicans and the Democrats as institutions of power in the U.S. political system as it has developed over the last hundred years.

The Republicans and the Democrats both advance the growth of the corporatist state, as they have for the last century -- a state where key and hugely influential financial interests ally themselves with government power (including perhaps most significantly the military-industrial-congressional complex). As it expands and becomes increasingly corrupt, the corporatist state is also an authoritarian state: individual rights give way more and more to state power, in the form of proliferating laws, regulations, edicts, wiretapping and surveillance.

As Higgs notes, none of this serves the interests of the "ordinary" citizen, whose life and security become ever more fragile and disposable. But none of that concerns the ruling elites: their lives are ones of immense comfort and privilege, far removed from the petty concerns of those who pay for it and whose servitude makes it possible. As I said in that earlier essay: the concerns of the ruling elites are not yours or mine, and their motives are a universe apart from ours. Except for rare historic moments of huge and possibly threatening public protest, the elites don't give a damn at all about you or me.

A corporatist, authoritarian state is what the ruling elites want, and it is precisely what serves their interests, Republican and Democrat alike. They know it; they count on your inability or refusal to see it.

--Source: http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.com/2007/08/blinded-by-story-liberals-and.html

It's a real shame that people are trashing this woman for not being pretty enough. I didn't realize that being pretty was one of the qualifications for being the head of Homeland Security.

Actually, no one said jack shit about her not being pretty enough for the job. The facts were merely laid out. If being attractive was a criteria, neither of the presidential candidates would have made it that far, and Sarah Palin would be in office. But you could alternatively try reading what people ACTUALLY wrote on the thread as a starter, which, as it turns out, is different than what you THINK they wrote.

oppps, mean Janet Napolitano. Similar Dyke like look.

081120_napolitano_allen.jpg

Guys, you gotta ask: Is this someone I'd trust with my testicles in her mouth?

D'oh! I guess I didn't read carefully enough.

I thought maybe she is in her 60s,and might have been better looking at 18,not to be!

She was born in 57,never married,no kids,not a rug eater,butterfaced,not gay?,mountainbiker,mountainclimber,built like FW,and oh ah not gay??

79fdbf52a2f6e9a4.jpg2445c_CI3h_V.jpg

Edited by pc313

oppps, mean Janet Napolitano. Similar Dyke like look.

081120_napolitano_allen.jpg

Guys, you gotta ask: Is this someone I'd trust with my testicles in her mouth?

D'oh! I guess I didn't read carefully enough.

I thought maybe she is in her 60s,and might have been better looking at 18,not to be!

She was born in 57,never married,no kids,not a rug eater,butterfaced,not gay?,mountainbiker,mountainclimber,built like FW,and oh ah not gay??

79fdbf52a2f6e9a4.jpg2445c_CI3h_V.jpg

???

I can't see her cankles anywhere in these photos.

Ya,shes only 50 and loves Mountainclimbing/biking and shes not gay! JUST KIDDING!!! I hope she brings common since to the Post,and no "8 shades of Yellows" Teror alert chart,WTF was that crap all about? Did they really think were that dumb?

2445c_CI3h_V.jpg

Edited by pc313

Ya,shes only 50 and loves Mountainclimbing/biking and shes not gay! JUST KIDDING!!! I hope she brings common since to the Post,and no "8 shades of Yellows" Teror alert chart,WTF was that crap all about? Did they really think were that dumb?

2445c_CI3h_V.jpg

We elected GW didn't we.

2445c_CI3h_V.jpg

We elected GW didn't we.

Sorry man, but i started voting 1980 and I've allways used common since when i pick someone to make big Changes in my life,and i vote agaist ass fucks!!

I beleive that the voters who put the Reagans,and Bushs in office should be Kick in the nutsack,and have their face rubbed in a steamy pile of dog shit!!!

And forced to wear a big red "R" on their chest,ride in the back of the bus,and shut the fuck up!!!!

I don't know how they can defend their vote,and the 9.5 trillion Reagan and the bushs waisted!!

But all i hear from these ASSHATES is Clinton lied,so i guss they rather be buttfucked,then let Bill get a good BJ from a fat slut from P.O.Town!!!

The truth is we all didn't vote to drink the koolaid,just like we all didn't vote for Clinton or Obama!

2445c_CI3h_V.jpg

We elected GW didn't we.

Sorry man, but i started voting 1980 and I've allways used common since when i pick someone to make big Changes in my life,and i vote agaist ass fucks!!

I beleive that the voters who put the Reagans,and Bushs in office should be Kick in the nutsack,and have their face rubbed in a steamy pile of dog shit!!!

And forced to wear a big red "R" on their chest,ride in the back of the bus,and shut the fuck up!!!!

I don't know how they can defend their vote,and the 9.5 trillion Reagan and the bushs waisted!!

But all i hear from these ASSHATES is Clinton lied,so i guss they rather be buttfucked,then let Bill get a good BJ from a fat slut from P.O.Town!!!

The truth is we all didn't vote to drink the koolaid,just like we all didn't vote for Clinton or Obama!

Tell that to the next Iraqi you meet in Bagdad.

I didn't vote for the Reaganites, Bushites or any other Republican presidential candidate or their followers and lackies.

But as a democracy, "For the people, BY THE PEOPLE", they still represented each of us.

The sad truth is, while you and I were out climbing for the fun of it, other folks were out campaigning for the right people.

So to at least some degree, our approval was tacit. In that regard, we, that is you and me, had a sip of that kool-aid.

Makes the eyes sting eh?

I hope as the koolaid effects are wearing off that more of the Brainless zombies come over from the dark side!

But at least for now my Republican neighbors have stoped talking in circular logic,and how the great leader will show us the way to god!

They sill need to have their faces rubbed in a steamy pile of dog shit as that was the way we delt with assholes in my hood!