Painterly rock

Otto

At the City building in Seattle they have a large art collection which they move around on the walls. This piece was once displayed on a wall near where I work. I scoped it every time I passed by; thinking I might go there some day, wondering if it would look just like this. If I went there, would my image be so preconceived that I would see the cliff as a series of sumi brush strokes?

beacon1kl4.jpg

Then they moved the piece; I didn't see it for many months. I found it again in a hallway on a floor above, in the distant heights of the skyscraper. I was glad. I didn't want to lose it for good.

beacon2bw8.jpg

What do you who climb on this rock feel from this painting? Does it come close to portraying the cliff in your imagination? From a physical standpoint, does it look like any view of the rock itself?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, art is subjective. It's a much closer likeness than the Eliza R. Barchus version painted @100 years ago. I like the bold stokes and interpretation of yours, but I like the Barchus version as well.

0705_featureditem.jpg

724_1.jpg

I bid on the Barchus anyway, I think it went for @ $1800 the first time and $3750 2 years later. The description was: ""Beacon Rock at Sunset" with figures in canoe in foreground. 22 in. by 36in. signed Barchus l.r. In wood frame. Together with a first edition book, (so stated) "Eliza R. Barchus, the Oregon Artist", by her daughter, Agnes Barchus, 1974, Binford & Mort, Portland, with dust jacket." Barchus has stuff hanging in the White House though. Yours pic- despite being more if an impressionistic style, looks more like the rock to me than the Barchus, and he did this back before there were many white people around to blow the rock up, cut the trees down, etc etc. Wish Barchus had just painted what he saw.

WTF? Why would anyone head out to paint Beacon Rock and then just paint something else entirely and call it Beacon Rock? Doesn't seem like he even needed to bother going our there to paint that picture. Nice painting and all, but - huh?

Love the Connell one given how much time I spend down at the boat launch looking at that view while watching for the Peregrines.

I don't know who Jim is but last time I saw you, you were sucking those things down like a champ.

i only smoke when i climb...or when i drink...or when i'm awake...hmmm...which is pretty much all summer :) damn, at this rate, i too will be a poster-boy in 40 years. actually i quit smoking regularly years ago when i noticed i was coughing all the damn time - this hasn't seemed to reappear now that i allow meself the evil pleasure only when i'm recreat'ng :)