ice screw review

layton

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to add, but will say that when it's time to retire your old ones, the new BD design is worth paying the money for. The more agressive tooth design really does help them start easier; the only downside is that there's a tad more resistance when turning them all the way in, but I don't mind that. HTH-

4 stars for the Grivel 360's. They go in like butter! They can get to the most tricky of places like behind a pillar. The reason I don't give them 5 stars is they are a pain to rack. So the rest of my rack is BD turbo express and a couple "bail screws" just in case.

Anything forming in the SLC area yet?

Grivel Helix, best of the current screws out for water ice. Easy to rack as well. Close second is the newest BD with a crank. Add the Grivel 360 if you are talking alpine ice.

Buddy and I tried all of them last winter over a couple of weeks in the Rockies and the helix came out the surprize winner by fair margin. Tube size, tooth design and durability, hanger design and finish all were part of that decision.

Bottom line if you aren't climbing with the current generation screws you are wasting a lot of energy.

anyone had a chance to try the Simond Tornados yet??

[img:center]http://www.simond.com/images/prestations/A-SIMOND-46XXTORNAD-0002.jpg[/img]

Yeah, I bought one a couple of years ago for the helluvit. They bite quick and start easy, but the fold-out knob isn't quite there; kinda flimsy. And the knob doesn't turn very easily, either (it's simply thick wire turned into a hook shape with the knob turning inside that "hook"- it binds up easily).

I think with a bit of work they could be a really great ice screw.

• 2 weeks later...