Stern interviews Obama supporters

Fairweather

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
What's up with ACORN trying to steal Ohio and Nevada? You down with that?

What's up with the Republicans trying to steal the entire election. You down with that?

The ranting and raving about Acorn is a cover up for purging voters from voter roles to suppress vote.

Is anybody but me concerned about this? We've seen great efforts toward vote suppression undertaken in the last two presidential elections, and it looks as if it is continuing. Isn't purging voter roles far more likely to influence an election outcome than Acorn's registering Mickey Mouse or signing up the telephone book?

THe GOP always tries to suppress the vote, because Dems have always outnumbered them. Pretty simple numbers game. It's a control thing. So the health of our democratic process has to suffer? The GOP couldn't give less of a shit about such high falutin' abstractions.

The democrats rally around a core set of values. In contrast, the GOP is a poorly woven, thread bare quilt of dissimilar island constituencies who, for the most part, don't give a shit about anyone outside their tribe and therefore don't give a shit about each other. The GOP has played bait and switch with these poor dumbshits to win elections. "Sure, we'll get right on that marriage amendment." "Oh, don't worry, we'll make you all rich." "Yeah, we'll keep spending AND your taxes low" It seems as though a thin but critical margin of these idiots has finally figured out the game.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

"They're stealing your vote, but you can steal it back. Here are some steps you should take to protect your vote. First, avoid the November 4th minefield. Voters, wherever possible, should vote early and in person. Where feasible, avoid mailing in your ballot, many are rejected for flimsy reasons, and first time voters in many states must include a photocopy of ID. However, if you have a mail-in ballot, don't throw it away. Follow directions, use the correct postage (that's an error that cost a hundred thousand votes last time) and, if possible, walk it in to your elections office.

At the polling station, should you find yourself one of the 2.7 million purged, or your ID rejected, then do your best to resist a "provisional" ballot--one third of which are not counted. Return with proper ID, or call 1-866-OUR VOTE for legal assistance. And never just walk away discouraged. That's just what they want you to do. "

Oprah Winfrey used an electronic voting machine that didn't register her vote for Obama until she went back and re-did it. godlikeproductions.com

My question is this: how many of you folks have used the self-checkout machines at the grocery store checkout? Do you EVER have any problem having your touching the screen misread? How can it be that they can't make a voting machine that is fool-proof in this way?

This reminds me of Diebold saying four years ago that they couldn't make a voting machine that could produce a paper receipt because paper and printers may jam, at a time when they'd been making bank machines that do exactly that for years.

Oprah Winfrey used an electronic voting machine that didn't register her vote for Obama until she went back and re-did it. godlikeproductions.com

My question is this: how many of you folks have used the self-checkout machines at the grocery store checkout? Do you EVER have any problem having your touching the screen misread? How can it be that they can't make a voting machine that is fool-proof in this way?

This reminds me of Diebold saying four years ago that they couldn't make a voting machine that could produce a paper receipt because paper and printers may jam, but they've been making bank machines that do exactly that for years.

How about a system in which the ballot is the receipt? That's what we do. We get a piece of paper with the candidates names on it, and alongside each name is a space where we make an "X" with a pencil if that's the person we want to vote for. Then we drop the marked ballot into a "ballot box". When the polls close, the boxes are opened up and all the ballots are counted and then they get put back into the boxes again. Then the boxes are sealed up and kept in a secure location. If someone challenges the election result, they can open the boxes back up again for what's called a "recount" which involves simply taking out all the ballots and... counting them again. It sounds bizarre, I know, but it actually works pretty well. You guys should look into it. You've got paper, don't you? And most people are pretty familiar with how to use a pencil, or at least they should be by the time they reach voting age. And I'm sure you can find at least a few people who know how to count - that's all you need.

This reminds me of Diebold saying four years ago that they couldn't make a voting machine that could produce a paper receipt because paper and printers may jam, at a time when they'd been making bank machines that do exactly that for years.

Couple that with the fact that Diebold will not release their code for examination, then you have the makings for well founded suspicion. I suppose one could argue that closed source code is proprietary information and as such should be treated accordingly.

You see more of a partisan specter while I see a overall growing trend towards information control. Take closed source systems and wed it to 'trusted computing' and you get something like Palladium. Sure the threats posed by the Internet may be mitigated by Palladium but on the other hand information will be more tightly controlled. And not just operating systems using Palladium but also the potential exists using a 'cloud computing' platform.

I find it a little more than ironic that privacy rights and such get so much attention today even though the environment is increasing becoming one where privacy no longer exists.