You know what I love?

rob

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I passed a couple dudes while riding on my 80lbs iron beater bike with dual casts on both feet riding up Sehome hill in Bellingham. both of them were wearing said get-up in the original post. I flipped them the bird when I passed them. It was sweet.

I love meeting people on the road on their $2000 road bikes, with their $90 tires, expensive cycling clothes (complete with "sponsorship patches") and fancy helmets -- and then completely toasting them on the hills, on my 20-yo Peugeot, wearing old shorts, sneakers, and a t-shirt.

It makes me feel good. :D

Doood! That is so, like, baddassssss! You are a fuckin' machine. But I hear that too much time spent on a road bike can lead to, um, p-r-o-b-l-e-m-s with the ladies. Is it true?

Saturday night there's going to be a carbon-free bicycle ascent of Mt. Pete in Enumclaw. I'm rapidly closing on my annual elevation goal on which I've been concentrating since my birthday in November. Seems I'm going to finish early. The goal was/is 264K (50 vert miles) off-pavement elevation gain on the bike, and since most of that has been on Mt. Pete, that's where it's gonna conclude.

We'll leave my pad in Bonney Lake with a bunch of beer packed in ice, in our rucksacks. We'll pedal out to Petey and finish the dirty deed. Then we'll enjoy adult beverages and an alpine snack platter on Enumclaw's mighty Mt. Pete. Dwayner and special guest Dennis Erectus will join. Babes of cc.com are welcome. Heck, anybody who loves to pedal may join.

I will stick with my cervelo thanks. Though the crosswinds in the sandhills kick my ass from time to time.

Cervelo? You wear bib shorts with the suspenders on the outside, don't you? :lmao:

Nope, got look clipless pedals that attach to my Ariats and wear my Wranglers and a t-shirt.

Right... 'cause copper piping is used as an organically certified way to irrigate

Toxicity can occur from eating acid food that had been cooked in Copper cookware. Cirrhosis of the liver in children (Indian Childhood Cirrhosis) has been linked to boiling milk in copper cookware. The Merck Manual states that recent studies suggest that a genetic defect is associated with this cirrhosis, but this should not be regarded as an endorsement of the practice since other toxicity besides cirrhosis can occur as in adults. [37]

With an LD50 of 30 mg/kg in rats, "gram quantities" of copper sulfate are potentially lethal in humans.[38] The suggested safe level of copper in drinking water for humans varies depending on the source, but tends to be pegged at 1.5 to 2 mg/L[citation needed]. The DRI Tolerable Upper Intake Level for adults of dietary copper from all sources is 10 mg/day[citation needed]. In toxicity, copper can inhibit the enzyme dihydrophil hydratase, an enzyme involved in haemopoiesis[citations needed].

Symptoms of copper poisoning are very similar to those produced by arsenic. Fatal cases are generally terminated by convulsions, palsy, and insensibility.[citations needed]

In cases of suspected copper poisoning, Ovalbumin is to be administered in either of its forms which can be most readily obtained, as milk or whites of eggs. Vinegar should not be given. The inflammatory symptoms are to be treated on general principles, and so are the nervous.[citations needed]

A significant portion of the toxicity of copper comes from its ability to accept and donate single electrons as it changes oxidation state. This catalyzes the production of very reactive radical ions such as hydroxyl radical in a manner similar to Fenton chemistry.[39] This catalytic activity of copper is used by the enzymes that it is associated with and is thus only toxic when unsequestered and unmediated. This increase in unmediated reactive radicals is generally termed oxidative stress and is an active area of research in a variety of diseases where copper may play an important but more subtle role than in acute toxicity.

A Kayser-Fleischer ring. Copper deposits are found in the iris. This is an indication that the body is not metabolizing copper properly.An inherited condition called Wilson's disease causes the body to retain copper, since it is not excreted by the liver into the bile. This disease, if untreated, can lead to brain and liver damage. In addition, studies have found that people with mental illnesses such as schizophrenia had heightened levels of copper in their systems. However it is unknown at this stage whether the copper contributes to the mental illness, whether the body attempts to store more copper in response to the illness, or whether the high levels of copper are the result of the mental illness.[citations needed]

Too much copper in water has also been found to damage marine life. The observed effect of these higher concentrations on fish and other creatures is damage to gills, liver, kidneys, and the nervous system. It also interferes with the sense of smell in fish, thus preventing them from choosing good mates or finding their way to mating areas.[40]

sounds healthy to me!