Glassgowkiss...

RuMR

Just curious here Arch.

Can we prove that anyone existed say, 1000 years ago or more?

If so, what makes it work for you?

That's a good question.

I guess one way to "prove" that people existed that long ago would be to look at the evolution of languages. We know from our own experience how language changes over time. It is dynamic, but not enough to form into a whole other language within our own lifetime, yeah? So how long would it take for a new language to grow from an old one? Hundreds of years perhaps? And how about to evolve into the many different languages we have? Certainly thousands.

That, and carbon dating.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then what do you base your beliefs on then? I am curious? Because it ties nicely into your political ideologies? Because you think it will piss off your political adversaries? You have no evidence and there is evidence to support the contrary. What does that mean in a debate? I can't remember. Oh wai, yes I can "You lose."

Now, the question we have to ask is why you feel the need to state such a thing in the first place especially after being confronted with the fact that there is not proof of your beliefs and proof to the contrary. Now taht is quite a conondrum.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here. But I'll give you an answer to the question you should have asked. "Why would you bring up Stephen King in this discussion?" Well, my friend, let me tell you. It is an analogy. I used an analogy to show you the weakness in your feeble argument. Please note that I did not state my own personal beliefs in any way. Nor did I refute your beliefs. I only pointed out that your premise does not hold water.

So you call all history revisionist history? Wow, you liberals really are paranoid. When someone who makes fun of Christians and was charged with the veracticy of the historical documents of the time says he existed, he probably did. Now, lets look at the proponderance of evidence you have thrusted forth:

I see that it is difficult for you to follow the path of a debate. Let me slow it down for you.

Not only do I not call all history revisionist history, I did not call any history revisionist history.

What I am trying to draw your attention to is that if your arguments are not strong, then you will not be able to sway anyone to take any action at all. You were trying to get Kevbone to read works that mentioned Christ. You were also trying to get him to believe that because a non-Christian wrote about Jesus, He surely existed. This is not a strong debate point. Pick a better one. There are plenty to chose from (as you obviously must know from your extensive reading).

So, I am still waiting for you to show me your evidence. If I have more evidence than you, how does that make your theory any more plauable than mine or even less so? Inquiring minds really can't wait to hear.

What theory? I haven't posited one for you. What are you referring to?

Just curious here Arch.

That's a good question.

I guess one way to "prove" that people existed that long ago would be to look at the evolution of languages. We know from our own experience how language changes over time. It is dynamic, but not enough to form into a whole other language within our own lifetime, yeah? So how long would it take for a new language to grow from an old one? Hundreds of years perhaps? And how about to evolve into the many different languages we have? Certainly thousands.

That, and carbon dating.

I think he was talking about individual people. Like Ghengis Khan.

Has ggk ever actually acted physically aggressive w/ someone on this site?

He acts tough on the internet, right up to the point where you call him out. Then, he slinks away, to hide for awhile...sort of like Puxatawnie (sp?) Phil...and then he comes back out of his hole.

So all the goofy threats aren't really actionable, eh? At least they are amusing.

Just curious here Arch.

That's a good question.

That, and carbon dating.

or Phil Collins

Just curious here Arch.

That's a good question.

That, and carbon dating.

Ah, right.

Hmmmm.

DNA studies in mummies? Aren't scientists able to trace the evolution of mitochondria DNA and be pretty darn specific about it? They couple that with carbon dating, written record, grave stones, oral tradition. I don't know what else...

Christus, the founder of the name, had undergone the death penalty in the reign of Tiberius, by sentence of the procurator Pontius Pilate, and the pernicious superstition was checked for a moment, only to break out once more, not merely in Judea, the home of the disease, but in the capital itself, where all things horrible or shameful in the world collect and find a vogue.

Just curious here Arch.

That's a good question.

That, and carbon dating.

Ah, right.

Hmmmm.

DNA studies in mummies? Aren't scientists able to trace the evolution of mitochondria DNA and be pretty darn specific about it? They couple that with carbon dating, written record, grave stones, oral tradition. I don't know what else...

Do you know anything about science or do you just watch CSI on your lunch breaks at Wall Mart?

Christus, the founder of the name, had undergone the death penalty in the reign of Tiberius, by sentence of the procurator Pontius Pilate, and the pernicious superstition was checked for a moment, only to break out once more, not merely in Judea, the home of the disease, but in the capital itself, where all things horrible or shameful in the world collect and find a vogue.

Is this supposed to be proof? Dude.....the Bible is NOT proof. Nor is this crap.....

Is this supposed to be proof? Dude.....the Bible is NOT proof. Nor is this crap.....

Why kev? Is all history crap? You know Kev, you have a lot in common with neo-nazis. They also have irrational ideologies based on fear and hatred and choose to ignore or re-write history. You should check em out next time you are in idaho.

can i believe that jesus existed but so does my next door neighbor bob? they're both cool guys and did/do some good shit but that doesn't prove the existence of god or the accuracy of the bible for me.

That's reasonable. But the historians mentioned in this thread that wrote about Jesus were not writing about God. That whole Nicaea thing hadn't happened yet and there wasn't so much consistancy about all that.

As for accuracy, either ya believe or ya don't. It's accurate or it is representative. Word of God or interpretation. No historian has the ability to make anyone believe what they chose not to believe. And that's probably a good thing.

i challenge anyone here to proof they exist. i mean, i know i do, but i can't speak for you.

cogito ergo sum

boner can's say that since he doesn't think

and here is proof of that