old gear

Bogen

Having not found a use for this stuff excepting the odd piece once or twice in the last couple decades, I am going to throw it out, I think.

Is there any reason I shouldn't? Like maybe keep it for the odd really wide crack that catches my eye, or give it to boy scouts or whatever? It seems obsolete and useless to me...

Picture_0052.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I usually have a couple sets of nuts, and use them frequently.

Just have never found I spot where I needed a big, passive unit for that I couldn't move a ways up or down and find a placement for something smaller or more reliable.

Though, I am moving to Calgary soon... Anyone think I might find more use for it in the rockies?

I'm old skool, so perhaps not the most objective person on this matter, but there are places where hexes are really superb. Royal Columns comes to mind; the cracks often flare inward and can be very insecure for cam placements, but slot a big'ol hex in there and it's bomber. I can't comment on the Cdn Rockies, but I like them for alpine because they are lighter than an equiv. size cam, and I often find really quick and very secure placements (on the easy routes I climb.) And- they're virtually indestructible, so you can always sell 'em on ebay rather than toss them.

I second the keep your big hexes for alpine stuff...much lighter way to carry big pro or double up on big sizes and/or cheap leave-behinds when backing off. I have #8-11 and place them. I left two backing off the North North Arete in the rain last year. However, I do have to put up with some mocking from those who prefer to carry triples of their #2-#4 camalots up the trail. I can live with that.

If Marc doesn't want them, I'll take them.

on the other hand i see you have some SMC Camlocks there

get rid of them asap, they are useless

Camlocks are useless as cams but are OK if used as a stopper.

If you trust them to cam like a tricam they are definately useless..

Even at that, I would use them as leave peices. Maybe even hammer them in. I do use a medium size camlock a lot for wide fingers but it goes in flat like a stopper.

You should give it to Marc Leclerc who left a substantial bit of his rack behind during his educational epic on Slesse. It's tough to put a rack together when you're 15, and I'd bet he wouldn't mind some hexes.

Thanks off-white.... I did leave some of my rack on Slesse, if you are sure that you are going to throw them away I will pay you something for the Hexes.. I have no idea what camlocks are though.