Climbing before Marriage

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hell yeah, i get cranky too when he's not puttin out. you bet he's gonna get hollered at. i just don't see anything wrong here.

:lmao: A shout out from the other side of the coin.

See guys, it ain't all about what you want, neither! :laf:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yep I agree In the end it is all about figuring how to balance your "wants" and "needs" (as said earlier, climbing being a want, not a need) against the "wants" and "needs" of another person.

Climbing is a want, but it satisfies needs for happiness, challenge, exercise, nature, fraternity, etc. The goal in a relationship is not to compromise on needs but to find solutions that satisfy both needs. Communication is the hardest part, and it can require peeling several outer layers of issues and feelings to discover the underlying needs.

Also, the tactic of "If I'm climbing too much, tell me" (basically asking your SO to manage you, which is quite a responsibility -- an impossible line between not getting enough and being a nag) does not work. (I think Chuck mentioned something like this on page 1.)

• 2 months later...

Trial and error.

So far, in general, here's what's worked for us:

Bad - long routes where I'm at my mental and/or physical limit at some point on the route, there's time/weather pressure, and it's cold out.

Good: Short routes at my limit that she can decline to climb or lower off of if the climbing turns out to be no fun, or cruiser routes that aren't mentally/physically taxing for both of us (one exception is slab routes where I lead the hard pitches), there's no time pressure, and it's warm and/or sunny out.

Getting the outings in that would suck as a couple, or pursuing hobbies that she's not into (kayaking) when she's got other commitments is also a win-win.

Trying to live by the golden rule never hurts.

• 2 months later...

My climbing partner got married last june,since then he has backed out of 4 out of 6 Climbs,and not because of work,or sickness and the climbs were planned around his wifes days off so not to interfer with their time together,but it might be time to move on and the fact is i like going solo.

6 years ago one of my best friends wife moved out on valentines day taking every thing but the kitchen sink after 14yrs of him kissing her ass,sorry babe but i don't love you anymore,she took the two kids and his dog,and left his clothes in the empty 2200sq.ft house with a dear John card that listed her terms,that he pay off $18,000 in credit cards,paid $1,000 mo. Child support, $48,000 cash,pay her Medical for 2yrs. and her share of his Retirement when it kicks in but left his shop alone $80,000 in toys and tools.

He called and asked if i could come over and talk,and was in shock when i got there,after reading the V-day Card to me he asked what would i do? Pay her off fast and retain a lawyer,his reply was i'm not giving her a "f" dime :anger:,i told him to grow a pair and take the terms fast,hell she could spend that much in 2yrs of living with you!

The next day,he found out she emptied the bank account$4,500,so he got a lawyer and accepted her terms,and 1yr. later the Devorce was final,2yrs later she wanted to get back together and when he told her no "f" way,she's had him back in court 5 times trying to get more money! :noway:I called him last week and his son just turned 18 so he's done with that bitch until he retires in 16yrs.,all together it cost him $135,000.00 and as he saids the best advice he ever got was from me,so i'm going to stop by Sat. for a beer and call us even! :brew:BTW he got off cheap!!! :tup:

Edited by pc313

Strange. All my women friends make at least as much if not more money than the men they are with -- married or otherwise.

What is up with people chosing to marry someone they don't think is their equal? Why would you marry someone who couldn't support themselves without their "marriage income" and then hold it against that person when the split requires half the property? I am baffled as to how any man could be that stupid and then be that bitter against a person HE CHOSE IN THE FIRST PLACE.