salsa or guacamole?

minx

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go hot or go home!

So, what are some of the favorite HOT salsas of folks here? Is there a brand that is "really hot" for you? (BTW, the whole huge v/s ginormous debate is soooo last week :P ).

I often buy Mrs Renfro's Habanero salsa - its decently hot. Most others that I get from local grocery stores are not "really hot". Has any one seen this salsa in local stores? Any other ass-kicking salsas you know about?

I make my own guacamole - chunky and hot with Indian curry powder. And then I double dip :chebit: .

What the hell you talking about brands??? Homemade salsa is the best, and it is so easy to make. You can make it as hot or mild as you would like. Here is my basic fresh salsa recipe:

Large white onion, chopped fine

3-4 Tomatoes, chopped

Handful of chopped cilantro

Pinch of salt (to taste)

1-2 limes squeezed (to taste)

heat source (see below)

heat source option 1: basic nice pepper taste and spice

roast 3 anaheim (deseed and deskin and chop)

roast 1-3 Jalepeno pepper minced (mild 1 deseeded and deskinned, ass burnin hot 3 with seeds and deskin)

heat source option 2: smokey

minced Chipotal (for medium heat I use 2-3 with seeds)

heat source option 3: hot as hell

Habanero (scotch bonnet) minced real fine, be careful with these suckers they are extremely hot.

Serenos are also good hot pepper to use instead of Jalpenos or Habanero. Once you learn the different flavors you can make your salsa perfect everytime.

While I am at it Guacamole is usually ruined by mixing it too much. To make a good gaucamole prepare all of your ingredients and mix well except for the avacado. Put in your avacado in big chunks and mix. And don't use curry powder, bleh, use the raw ingredient corriander, mustard, pepper, salt, cumin and fenugreek to make curry flavor that is more rich. Personally I just like lime, cumin, corriander, and salt for seasoning my guacamole and pepper, onion and tomato for other veggies.

Even as I sit here at the keyboard I can feel the firm, soft roundness filling the palm of my hand as I slowly, gently roll it around. Every so often I will squeeze it ever so slightly to test its ripeness, squeezing it just until the flesh starts to yield beneath my fingers, then I release. As I said, it’s important to take time and not rush through the checkout line.

From Wikipedia:

The word "avocado" comes from the Nahuatl word ahuakatl (testicle, a reference to the shape of the fruit). Historically avocados had a long-standing stigma as a sexual stimulant and were not purchased or consumed by any person wishing to preserve a chaste image. Avocados were known by the Aztecs as "the fertility fruit".

Layered dip beats all. Refried beans + sour cream + salsa + cheese = delicious

"avocado" comes from the Nahuatl word ahuakatl (testicle

from Wiki: "How to Cut an Avocado Without Touching the Flesh"

When you love eating but hate peeling and cutting an avocado you may want to read these instructions. The trick of not getting avocado pulp all over your hands is cutting it without touching the pulp.

Steps: Use a medium-sized sharp knife to cut lengthwise around the avocado.

Let the knife follow the contour of the avocado by pressing the knife blade into the flesh touching the large pit. This will guide the knife making the process easier to cut the avocado into two halves.

Make a vertical cut around the whole avocado.

Twist the two avocado halves while pulling the two lengthwise pieces gently apart.

Use a knife to remove the pit from the avocado.

Whack the knife firmly into the pit.

Twist the knife and the pit will be removed from the avocado half. "

Sounds like fun. :eveeel: