Pu239 Man on Hood

Pug

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill is a WWII combat veteran in the infantry in the North African, European, and Pacific theaters, and a retired 35-year Hanford worker. His last job there was manager of the PFP, Plutonium Finishing Plant. He climbed Hood last week with his 2 sons and one of his granddaughters.

Bill set the age record on Rainier in 2004 and has raised-the-bar each year since; although he would rather be noted for something besides being "old and stubborn".

Your Dad is awesome. He doesn't look (or act) anywhere near his age. What a cool thing to have in common between family members.

Simple - I like this!

Reminds me of a poem written by my partner's 90 yr old mother(a former pilot and mountain climber):

"This very place, arrived at by another trail--

why, it wouldn't be the same at all!"

Well done! :tup:

Bill is a WWII combat veteran in the infantry in the North African, European, and Pacific theaters, and a retired 35-year Hanford worker. His last job there was manager of the PFP, Plutonium Finishing Plant. He climbed Hood last week with his 2 sons and one of his granddaughters.

Bill set the age record on Rainier in 2004 and has raised-the-bar each year since; although he would rather be noted for something besides being "old and stubborn".

Pug,

I know of your father through his exploits, year after year, on Rainier. Quite impressive. He's a local legend here in the TC, as I'm sure you know. Gets a write-up every year in the Tri-Titty Herald, a write-up this year in The Columbian magazine, regular fixture on Badger Mountain, etc.

What I did not know and find rather intriguing is that he served in combat on not one, not two, but three continents in WWII. Surely, that must be some sort of record for a combat line soldier, too, yes? Anything you can share about that would be appreciated. I have a curiousness about all things WWII...

What I did not know and find rather intriguing is that he served in combat on not one, not two, but three continents in WWII.

Yeah, that is kind of unusual. Most units served in either the North African/European campaign, OR the Pacific campaign. Then gain, the US repositioned some units to the Pacific theater after the capitulation of Germany, in anticipation of an invasion of Japan. Maybe Pug's father was in one of those units?

As I remember reading, Africa did not go well at first. When our troops moved to Italy, they were successful thanks in large part to the 10th mountain division, but when we started moving north, the African troops were given a rest and some were redeployed after the rest period.

re: trumpetsailor, on noticing the whippet

No, Bill no longer skis. In his ancientness and decrepitude he was lost some of his balance, and climbs with two poles, one equipped with a whippet for arrest.

When Bill started skiing, during the Great Depression, there were two types of skiing in the Wasatch range, Nordic, which consisted of ski-jumping at the college hill, and Alpine, which was very much what we now call randonee.

Elk hide strips were tacked to the bottom of the wooden skis to allow the skiers to "skin-up and ski down. One long alpen-pole was used, often between your legs on downhills.

Teenaged Bill ordered a steel-edges kit from a magazine. The kit consisted of a notched woodplane to cut a groove in the edge of the ski, 4 rolls of metal edges, with drilled and countersunk holes every few inches, and small flat-head wood screws. Once installed, Bill had the first metal-edged skis in the Cache valley.

Bill single-handedly defeated the Axis powers!

Actually:

His involvement in North Africa was limited, mostly herding POW's around. Then he was stationed in England for the big invasion. He hit Normandy at D+8 (eight days after D-Day) and advanced through France. The movie "Saving Private Ryan" gave Bill acid-flashbacks. After the capitulation of Germany, he was shipped via the Panama canal to Okinawa to be part of the Japanese invasion. Bill's commander wanted to be like MacArthur in the Philippines, and be the first GI to set foot on the Japanese mainland. Of course his men all thought he was f'n insane.

After 2 A-bombs, and the Missouri, Japanese planes broadcast and dropped leaflets on Okinawa. 30,000 Japanese soldiers came out of the jungle to surrender.