Cutting Pitons

elliottwill

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so the OP wasn't clear. I'll restate:

1) I have a bunch of pins that are wide.

2) I want narrow ones.

Why? Because they work great in the iced-up conglomerate of the Chugach, and when it's -20 F you can place them with your mittens on.

3) I was curious if I could save some $ by cutting them down "the long way" so a 1" would fit in a .5" crack.

So in response, I'm hearing from Rat: don't bother, it's too much trouble. OK, thanks. That's what I was asking. Have a nice day.

Edited by elliottwill

if you're set on trying it, using a vertical bandsaw might be your best bet if you can clamp the puppies down well enough. i still think you should think about trading them for the sizes you want. old snargs and warthogs work pretty well in frozen vegetated cracks too.

good luck.

I think you'd have high weight to low strength ratio. The opposite of what you'd really want. After all that work, you'd have a large eye with lots of metal and weight in the eye, where you don't need it, and a weak pin. Rats nailed it. put them on Ebay and buy what you want.