Cutting Pitons

elliottwill

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's have an OP refresh, shall we?

I recently inherited a box of Black Diamond angle pitons in the full size range. The larger angles are pretty big, heavy, and seem redundant given the existence of nuts and cams in the same size. I wondered about cutting off some of the material so they'd fit in smaller cracks, but I always hear how you're not supposed to get the metal hot (like with a grinder). And a Sawzall would take a while. Any metalworkers out there have any suggestions of how to do it right?

IMHO big angles are too heavy for alpine; actually the only use I can think of is flaring kitty litter/loose jingus cracks or blown out pin scars you should be climbing clean but then you get scared and hey whats one or two more taps with the hammer anyway. I'd ebay 'em unless you wanna get into some pretty twisted stuff.

Pins are nice in the alpine. If you end up in some icy placments it's nice to have something that will beat through.

As to cutting em. I would go with the saw first. It is possible to do with a grinder but it takes a practiced hand. A very light touch and lots of air stirred by the wheeel to keep it cool. I would not neccassarily recommend it. Give it a shot. If after a couple passes with the grinder you can feel warming with your hand your doing it to hard. Also one of those tricks is to look at it after each pass. As long as the metal is staying pretty silver and shiny it is gunna be fine. if you start to notice a color (for this deal any of em) your not affecting the temper of the metal. Don't fool yourself though. If you get it hot and it starts to show color. Then you let it cool and grind the color of gently. The damage has been done your just hiding it.

I think you guys might all be missing the OP's point. If I read correctly he wants to take a big angle, and make it so it'll fit into a narrower crack. This is not what is normally meant by "sawed-off angle", which is usually cut to fit into a shallower crack. This is also not a very good idea.

what would be a good alternative to the sawed off angle big boy?

I recently inherited a box of Black Diamond angle pitons in the full size range. The larger angles are pretty big, heavy, and seem redundant given the existence of nuts and cams in the same size. I wondered about cutting off some of the material so they'd fit in smaller cracks, but I always hear how you're not supposed to get the metal hot (like with a grinder). And a Sawzall would take a while. Any metalworkers out there have any suggestions of how to do it right?

Oh crap, I was thinking dude was going to make some sawed off angles, you know, shorties, for beat out Yos pin scars like on the prow or Shield headwall kind of thing. He's ACTUALLY talkin about making like a knifeblade or a lost arrow out of an angle.

Whoh! My bad reading skillzz!

Now that would be impressive! I want to see pics of this abortion when you finish eh!?

I think you guys might all be missing the OP's point. If I read correctly he wants to take a big angle, and make it so it'll fit into a narrower crack. This is not what is normally meant by "sawed-off angle", which is usually cut to fit into a shallower crack. This is also not a very good idea.

Yeah, as fender said, you're borderline illiterate.

so you said that sawing off angles is not a very good idea. is this correct?

Pink, your lack of reading comprehension is impressive.

who'd have expected it from an aid climber?

not an aid climber. just like to get away from all you alpine fags and the big stone seems to be right place.

whatever homo joe. how many nails up you done? just curious ya alpine faggot.

oh yeh, and i got it the first time, but sawing off an piton is sawing off a piton no matter how you SLICE it. who am i to tell the jackass that penciling down pitons isn't a good idea. that's would better suit all your oneupmanship skills. bunch a fucking posers on this site. WTF.

hey tough guy,

there is no good alternative to a sawed-off shotgun. reread the original post and my page 1 drivelling response. if you take him at his word, his idea is a waste of time at best.

everyone jumped to the conclusion he wants to shotgun them. if so, just fucking saw the goddamn things off with a hacksaw. you guys can't do anything manually anymore, and that includes yanking your puds.

now stfu.

oh yeh, and i got it the first time, but sawing off an piton is sawing off a piton no matter how you SLICE it. who am i to tell the jackass that penciling down pitons isn't a good idea. that's would better suit all your oneupmanship skills. bunch a fucking posers on this site. WTF.

Blah blah blah, my ass is sore, blah blah blah... I go to where piss is crusted on walls to get away from you yank-offs who walk for miles to climb something, blah blah blah.

The only person playing "oneupsmanship" games is you. Yay, you've done things. Get over yourself.

Edited by fenderfour

Blah blah blah, my ass is sore, blah blah blah... I go to where piss is crusted on walls to get away from you yank-offs who walk for miles to climb something, blah blah blah.

The only person playing "oneupsmanship" games is you. Yay, you've done things. Get over yourself.

i haven't done shit and neither have you little bitch

hey tough guy,

there is no good alternative to a sawed-off shotgun. reread the original post and my page 1 drivelling response. if you take him at his word, his idea is a waste of time at best.

everyone jumped to the conclusion he wants to shotgun them. if so, just fucking saw the goddamn things off with a hacksaw. you guys can't do anything manually anymore, and that includes yanking your puds.

now stfu.

tell me shit i don't know ya little bitch

Edited by pink