GodTube

olyclimber

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting, fingers crossed over at the Rapture forum.

http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/index.php

I think that they need a visit from CHAPS to help them nail the timing.

"DH and I were watching this guy, Doug Batchelor, on tv last night and he was SOOOOO condescending to the pre-tribbers. Calling us poor little believers of the "secret rapture" and that we are so deluded into believing in it and there is no scripture to support it. Now, normally, tin hats don't work with what I wear,so I try not to wear them, but with Pat Robertson coming out on TV and saying this, and now Doug Batchelor, both in a week's time, is this classic tactic by Satan to try to humiliate the pre-trib believers, and deceive the others?

*admin edit* I really don't want to provide links to other sites that teach garbage like this."

Ho boy.

Another thread where Christians with misunderstandings of their own history are held up as the reason no one should become a Christian.

Did you know that an atheist once put a bug in his nose on purpose? Yes, a bug in his nose.

Makes you want to reconsider being an atheist doesn't it?

Did you know that an atheist once put a bug in his nose on purpose? Yes, a bug in his nose.

Is that where your name came from?

No. That is a clear misinterpretation of the text.

I was originally going to be a dung-beetle as it seemed appropriate for this site.

But my daughter shortened it to "Bug".

I still smell funny.

Ho boy.

Another thread where Christians with misunderstandings of their own history are held up as the reason no one should become a Christian.

I think that when people who have a set of convictions about supernatural beings, and they cite those convictions as the central motivation for actions or beliefs that range from straight-up madness to mildly unsettling irrationality - it shouldn't be surprising that folks who don't share those convictions criticize them and/or those who hold them.

If you find a case of an atheist or an agnostic who openly cites his atheism or agnosticism, or the desire to champion either cause, or his intent to strike down the enemies of atheism or agnosticism - as the motivation for committing an act of barbarity or madness, or as the justification for persisting in a delusion that's completely at odds with the facts - then you'd have grounds for critiquing those beliefs and those who hold them, IMO.

Ho boy.

I think that when people who have a set of convictions about supernatural beings, and they cite those convictions as the central motivation for actions or beliefs that range from straight-up madness to mildly unsettling irrationality - it shouldn't be surprising that folks who don't share those convictions criticize them and/or those who hold them.

If you find a case of an atheist or an agnostic who openly cites his atheism or agnosticism, or the desire to champion either cause, or his intent to strike down the enemies of atheism or agnosticism - as the motivation for committing an act of barbarity or madness, or as the justification for persisting in a delusion that's completely at odds with the facts - then you'd have grounds for critiquing those beliefs and those who hold them, IMO.

Does communism count? Granted, it's not really a person per se, but a country of like 1 billion people

Ho boy.

Does communism count? Granted, it's not really a person per se, but a country of like 1 billion people

I think it comes down to whether or not the evidence supports the notion that that Communists were committing their litany of atrocities as part of an explicit campaign to advance the cause of atheism, whether it was their atheist convictions that were inspiring them to do so, whether atheism provided the ultimate justifications and moral framework necessary to sanctify their actions.

I think that you can have an interesting conversation about whether or not an absence of countervailing absolute moral commitments and beliefs, or some other fixed notion of absolute good provided by a religion, paved the way for Communist atrocities in some fashion.

From my perspective, looking at the historical record in explicitly religious societies, I think that'd be a hard case to make. I personally think that you could make a stronger case that the christian cultural heritage paved the way for Communism than you can that the atheist component of communist doctrine was what inspired them to enslave and murder their countrymen.

Although rarely held, the purest form of Christianity does not involve the belief in supernatural beings.