Looking for Tyvek... contractors?

Blake

A couple years ago I was given a free piece of Tyvek by Mark McKillop, and it served me well on many alpine trips. At this point it has basically been destroyed and I am looking for some more. Ideally a chunk in the ~8'x8' size range. Does anyone know where this stuff can be bought cheaply?

Contractors ad builders must get it sourced somewhere without a lot of hassles.

There's a spot online where you can pick up an 8'x10' sheet for $30, but that seems kinda steep.

http://www.materialconcepts.com/pages/tyvek-ground-sheet.asp

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and 12 to 24 months as well, if ya get pegged.

I don't believe this method of appropriation is in Blake's style.

dude, watcha mean? wasn't blake like in and out of court last year for his scoflaw ways?!? :P

...and 12 to 24 months as well, if ya get pegged.

I don't believe this method of appropriation is in Blake's style.

dude, watcha mean? wasn't blake like in and out of court last year for his scoflaw ways?!? :P

Touche' mon ami!

Blowing off the permit system, with it's attendant inadequacies and the difficulty in permit acquisition thereof, is somewhat in a different legal league as opposed to blatantly pinching materials of intrinsic value from another's possession. And one cannot dismiss the possibility that young Blake learned his lesson with his brief encounter with The Law. Remember, the White Zone is for loading and unloading only, sezs the Central Scrutinizer...

Yes, I believe he employs it in a BD Megamid style.

Attractions:

super light

super tough

super cheap

makes you look like a real dirtbag climber, not a poseur DB climber

Distractions:

requires poaching to acquire

alright, now i'm intrigued - waht's the tyvek for? ghetto bivy material i assume? what's the attraction?

I've had my 8'x8' tyvek sheet on almost every alpine climb i have done. It works as a ground cloth, bivy bag, rope tarp, gear-sorting platform, etc etc. I've spent a lot of nights (even rainy ones) warm and dry with a tyvek and sleeping bag combo.

Of course, the real goal here is to acquire the coveted DuPont sponsorship than John Frieh was awarded after "forgetting" his sleeping bag and having to sleep in a tyvek cocoon on one of our trips to the Gunsight Range.

4479tyvek.JPG