kevbone

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What does is mean to you?

Answer: "It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. If the –if he – if "is" means is and never has been, that is not--- that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement."

William Jefferson Clinton

What does is mean to you?

Answer: "It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. If the –if he – if "is" means is and never has been, that is not--- that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement."

William Jefferson Clinton

All fixed. Sorry Bill. I see this saying all over the place. I feel I support the troops but do not support Bush's oil occupation. Does that mean I dont support the troops?

proly goes beyond bush kevbone, hell gas prices would proly still be lower if saddam was still alive and kickin. i guess the fact that you drive your car and fly in an airplane to mexico might indicate that you support bushs oil occupation but none of us are willing to give up our freewheelin life styles but we sure like talk the good fight.

I spent some time with an older generation person this weekend; he is very conservative and voted for Bush. We got on the topic of support the troops. His thoughts were if you dont support the “war”….then you don’t support the troops. No matter how much logic I threw his way, he would not waiver from this insane way of thinking…….

I know his position. There is no way (in that line of thinking) to support the troops if you oppose the activity in which they are engaged. In other words, if what they're doing is wrong, you are prima facie opposing the troops.

Seems to me that about the only logical wedge to drive there is that the soldiers are following orders. The orders are wrong and the people giving the orders are wrong, but that doesn't or shouldn't interfere with a person's belief in or respect for the soldiers themselves. (I am stating a response one could make, not neccesarly my opinion)

No matter what tack you take you end up in a framework of inferring that the troops are following illegimate orders. In that case, the troops themselves have to be in the wrong. This is how a person will come to say that if you oppose the war, you oppose the troops. The argument seems valid and logically defensible.

But, how and where would that person make a distiction between the illegimatcy of (say) the bush crime family and the legitmacy of officers giving the orders? Are the generals legit or are they also complicit in the lies? How about the colonels, who don't get to voice their opinion to the president? In other words, if you oppose the war but support the troops (or think you do), at what level of responsibility do you make the distinction between the illgitmacy of the orders and the men giving the orders, and the legitmacy or acceptability of the men following the orders?

I never saw the phrase “support our troops” until bush decided to occupy another country. It is unfathomable that one would not support out troops being that they are told what to do and they do it. If the neo-cons wanted to be more accurate the statement they have so conveniently thought up should read “support Bush”. Or “support oil”.

I never saw the phrase “support our troops” until bush decided to occupy another country.

This was all the rage in the late 60s and early 70s. Much (but by no means everything) we are going through now is just history repeating itself. Some of the current news and pronouncements are spooky that way. You can bet that your guy "of an older generation" remembers those days too.

Yes, "support our troops" came to mean "any criticism of the war is unpatriotic" in the context of the Vietnam war. I wonder, though: might that phrase or a similar one have been used with the same meaning before? If you criticized the cold war effort in the 1950's you were branded a communist, and I'm pretty sure we didn't embrace those who criticized the American effort in, say, World War II.

Yes, "support our troops" came to mean "any criticism of the war is unpatriotic" in the context of the Vietnam war.

That is what the old person I was referring too meant. What an old school way of thinking……..

different is wrong!!!!!!!1

Kevbone: the authority on different "schools of thought". :lmao:

Yes, "support our troops" came to mean "any criticism of the war is unpatriotic" in the context of the Vietnam war.

That is what the old person I was referring too meant. What an old school way of thinking……..

different is wrong!!!!!!!1

I am sorry.....did I say he was wrong? I do believe I wrote an old school way of thinking.....

No matter how much logic I threw his way, he would not waiver from this insane way of thinking…….

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Your right KKK….that is really funny……ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wew…..that was a good laugh……

Your right KKK….that is really funny……ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wew…..that was a good laugh……

looked down your pants, eh?