West Buttress'es of Mighty Mt. Si?

scottgg

What Ive heard (but can't say for certain):

~ Has been done in past years.

~ Authorities now discourage it or its now illegal due to land management issues. Access may be on private land and they no likey.

~ Mostly sketchy speculative info on my part and all this maybe wrong - maybe MattP can say for sure.

While we're at it, I'd like some info on Rattlesnake ridge/buttress direct East face etc if anyone has any..

Muja is not far off. There have been a couple of climbs done up there but there are access issues and I think they include both private property concerns and nesting raptors and perhaps other management issues as well. The rock is reported to be bad by one individual with a stomach for bad rock and I think I remember some discussion about how it wouldn't be safe to suggest a bunch of climbers go up there and start pushing rocks off.

The bottom line is that, while the formation is attractive when viewed from your car, it is probably better to fantasize about what might exist up there than to actually go climb it.

I have been on it in two places and found it to be variable in it's dependability. Sometimes only a handhold came off. Other times it was human sized chunks.

I dropped part way down from the top so the bottom might be better.

I did a two pitch route a number of years ago.

Their is a lot of potential for steep bolted sport climbs.

I was told their was a moratorium on all new routing and reporting of new routes. I don't understand. Don't the maps say that it is government land? How would it be different than little si?

Yep, best viewed from afar.... crappy rock, even on the steep stuff. Reminded me of "Jenga".... dont pull out the wrong piece!

Found a way to access the face that seemed to avoid private property. Lots of snow up top still....

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3606.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

Edited by scottgg
  • Like 1

I've heard a number of reports of new routes up there in recent years. In every case it sounded like this:

"I got permission to put up a new route, which I did. It's great. But the land managers made me agree to not tell anyone where it is."

Maybe someone should ride their snowmobile up the west side of Si...

• Like 1