Biggest/Nastiest Falls

cheamclimber

I love these stories.. so please, share them:

My nastiest fall was actually at my climbing gym... I was trying to flash a difficult climb and wasn't paying attention to my legs and the rope. My belayer also wasn't paying attention and was standing right below me. Sure enough I fell clipping, my leg was wrapped in the rope and I got flipped upside down, then I crashed headfirst into my belayer who then accidentally dropped me on my head into the floor.I had a bruised face and a huge gash in my leg where the rope had slit me open...

My biggest fall wasn't really a fall... my coach took me to Chek in Squamish and it was my first time outsoor lead climbing. I was really nervous about falling on lead outside so my coach climbed Division Bell to the top of the big show wall, got me to go to the top by using the rope then I unclipped the top anchor and jumped... the big show is a big 45 degree overhang so I didnt hit anything but I think I fell a good 45 feet or so.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I unclipped the top anchor and jumped... the big show is a big 45 degree overhang so I didnt hit anything but I think I fell a good 45 feet or so.

I don't know the route so I don't understand. Did you land in water? If so, :tup:

Did you intentionally shock-load a bolt or other fixed gear for fun? If so, :tdown:

I unclipped the top anchor and jumped... the big show is a big 45 degree overhang so I didnt hit anything but I think I fell a good 45 feet or so.

I don't know the route so I don't understand. Did you land in water? If so, :tup:

Did you intentionally shock-load a bolt or other fixed gear for fun? If so, :tdown:

If landing in water counts then Ive taken a 60 footer

pQYFiP2gnx8

This is the big show wall.. its cool but the easiest climb on it is 5.13d so I havent climbed it yet...

Edited by cheamclimber

My friend Brad Jarrett has taken 2 180 foot falls on Midgart Serpent on Mt. Thor on Baffin Island. Brad is not one to exaggerate. Or brag. So I will brag for him.

Holy Crap! Was he hurt or was it a pretty clean fall? That would be really scary if that fall was on gear too...

Midgart Serpent is a 4000 foot route. The last 1000 is overhanging. He did not hit anything. He fell onto a bolt.

I think we're replowing old ground here, folks. There's been numerous threads on this board under this topic. Use the Search function, select All Forums, input "falls whippers", In Subject only, newer than 7 years, get a scotch, sit back, and enjoy.

I think we're replowing old ground here, folks. There's been numerous threads on this board under this topic. Use the Search function, select All Forums, input "falls whippers", In Subject only, newer than 7 years, get a scotch, sit back, and enjoy.

Wn1b4ygKL4A

speaking of replowing old ground, this guy's a regular jethro tull.

sobo, thanks for the words of wisdom, i decided today that i was going to stop climbing and just sit back and enjoy my pile of fag mags being that almost everything has been done before. :grin: