Random Tips and Tricks Thread - not spray

Blake

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always count calories/weight of the food you bring. Pure oil is 9 calories/gram and is the highest calorie content of any edible material (the fattier the food, the better weight savings, at least in your pack, maybe not on your thighs). Peanut butter is the best actual food item, packing 6-7 calories/gram. Don't bring food that's less than 4 calories/gram. Alternating Snickers - Paydays is the fuel of champions.

Plan your actual food intake to be ~2000 calories per day. I've never wished I had more food than this. Sure, you can eat more, but you'll just poop more. :tdown:

Leave the camera at home. You won't miss it. You're the only one who actually enjoys looking at your pictures anyway, although your SO will never let on this is true.

So 1 cup of lard per day?

Leave the camera at home. You won't miss it. You're the only one who actually enjoys looking at your pictures anyway, although your SO will never let on this is true.

Peanut butter, yes, leaving the camera I would only do where the survival chances on the route seem marginal. In your golden years you will want a visual of the way your partner's face looked when they broke that shoelace, or whatever.

It is true, though, that actually climbing is a far better experience without a photographer in the party.

You can keep sun screen out of the eyes from sweating by putting Chap Stick on your eye brows. It was Mr. Simmonds who told me this. I know he posts here sometimes, but can’t remember his first name.

use lip balm with sunscreen protection around your nostrils. It will stay on better than sunscreen and keep you from chapping/burning/peeling better

I had a sunscreen wipe (spf30) once. It was really handy. I wipe my nose a lot in cold and wind and it was nice to be able to pull it out of my pocket and baggy and wipe my nose with it periodically to re-apply. It was the only time I have come down from Rainier with no burn around my nostrils.

Climb with Ivan. He brings whiskey.

An old one, courtesy of Lowell Skoog: use bicycle toe clip straps to strap on tools, water bottles to your shoulder straps or waist belt, etc. They're bomb proof (velcro straps will lead to lost gear in the brush), and make great emergency repair items.

Use tin foil as a stove wind screen. Makes a great hat, too. In the snow, put your stove on tree bark.

Carry six point aluminum crampons for moderate slopes or if you 'might' need them.

Use neosporine as a body lube if you've already scored some chafing. It also works as a temporary ski skin wax in a pinch.

An ice climbing tip from Jens: wear an approach under shirt and pair of gloves, then put on dry stuff for the climb.

Climb with Ivan. He brings whiskey.

i learned from my master, Lord Layton. coupled w/ smokes and the aforementioned happy pills and there's no epic that can't be laughed at, even while in progress :toad:

quarter-pounders w/ cheese. take the box too. nothing better than being many miles from nowhere and "loving it!"

IMG_2372.JPG

tvash's tip from nelson about toe-straps was critical in fixing a severely mangled snow-shoe and sparing me epic insanity in the sawtooth this past winter - duck tape and ghetto-mindedness woulda worked, but the toe strap was much better.

To increase friction when rapping on thin or single ropes: clip your rap device to the end of a runner girth hitched to your belay loop. The longer the runner, the greater the friction.

Ice climbing: pre cut and tie your v threads to save time enroute. 68" lengths will give you the perfect <60 degree angles all around when using 6 or 7mm line, double fishermens, and 22 cm screws. That's finger tip to finger tip, outstretched arms for an average guy of 5'10".

Edited by tvashtarkatena

wet wipes and body glide.

TMI ;)

Tipping dangerously close to spray, here, fellas... Please respect the OP's request.

Thank you, and we now return to your regularly scheduled program.

lighten up, man, it's friendly joking. :noway:

5K, sense sarcasm, will ya? Note the underlined sentence.

wet wipes and body glide.

TMI ;)

Tipping dangerously close to spray, here, fellas... Please respect the OP's request.

Thank you, and we now return to your regularly scheduled program.

lighten up, man, it's friendly joking. :noway:

5K, sense sarcasm, will ya? Note the underlined sentence.

an emoticon would have made your point clear. :grin:

When rapping off a wall, clip a draw to your harness and the other end to the rope you need to pull. It keeps the memory problems at bay and keeps the rope from getting twisted.

It does not keep your mind from getting twisted nor does it untwist your mind.