road cycling

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently did a Conconi test on myself to find out my AT for running on an inclined treadmill. I did it in two sessions, the first to establish a rough AT, the second to establish an exact AT. Both went quickly, and the results were very accurate (within a BPM).

Test 1:

Warm up at 3 mph, 15 degree incline for 10 minutes.

At T = 10 minutes, record HR, then increase speed +.3 mph for 2 minutes, then record HR again.

Plot speed versus HR on graph paper. The line should abruptly decrease in slope (but remain linear) at some point; the HR at that point is your rough AT. Take note of the last recorded treadmill speed just before you reached your AT.

Test 2:

Warm up at 3 mph, 15 degree incline for 10 minutes. Use whatever settings will get you into the low end of your target heart rate, generally 60% or so of your MHR.

At T = 10 minutes, increase speed to your last recorded treadmill speed just before you reached your AT from test 1. After 3 minutes at that speed, record your HR, then keep increasing speed +.1 mph for 2 minutes, recording your HR at the end of each interval until you can't go anymore.

Plot the results on your graph as before. This more fine tuned test should give you your current AT (for running on a treadmill) to within a BPM.

Wow this sounds like a lot of fun! (complete and utter sarcasm) I guess to each there own, but man all this crap for what? I would just rather get on my bike a ride, put my shoes on a run or grab the rack and go.

Whether cycling or running is better, actually what I have notice is that if you commute on your bike or walk to and from work, that probably will help you more for climbing than getting out for a ride or run a couple of times a week.

Most of the time I do the same, but knowing your AT is helpful for designing and doing sprint workouts using exercise machines to get the maximum benefit for the least amount time. My speed workouts have definitely increased in quality, efficiency, and results since working with a heart monitor. It's really done well by me, but, as you say, to each his own.

I've never been much for biking because my skinny arse hurts after 30-45 minutes. Maybe I never sat on the right seat.

I agree on the commuting comment. When I walked 1 mile each way to the subway in Boston and walked up and down 4 flts of stairs several times each day at work that gave me a good base fitness level. Now I have to drive the kids to and from daycare as part of my commute and I can't indulge in the same way.

I agree with the comment that one usually runs harder in races than in a test. However, the more experience you have the better able you are to push yourself in any setting. I raced x-country when younger and have done only a few races in the past years. Someone suggested above that 5k or 10k are similar in difficulty. I disagree. The goal is to arrive at the finish with nothing left in the gas tank. Otherwise you didn't push yourself. To do that, you run at a faster pace for the shorter distance. For me, in two races I did two years ago, running 5k in 19 minutes felt way harder than running 10k in 40 minutes, even though it's only 5% faster. Perhaps because it's deeper in my red zone (closer to the AT?).

Finally, running is the cheapest sport of all mentioned above, and it's also the one where you are least likely to suffer a major injury if you have warmed up properly.

• 4 weeks later...

Tvash you might want to take a stab at this one, seems like you have a bunch of experience in this area....

I know a sign of over training is increased heart rate in the mornings and fatigue in the legs. I have been riding harder all the time, and getting days off to rest (or easy spin). Today on my ride I was pushing hard on timetrial intervals and could hardly pass my AT (170) even the goal was to "breakthrough", this was with legs burning and what felt like close to all out effort. This happened on every intervals. Finally, feeling frusterated, I max sprinted on the last one and was still 10 beats below a normal sprint max heart rate. I also double checked pulse by hand/time to verify monitor's acuracy.

Basically --significant decreased in heartrate at roughly the same output which normally produces higher heart rates.

So, over training, or ready to push harder?

Any thoughts?

Thanks