getting skins on rounded symetric skis

genepires

So I bought a pair of skiis with alpine touring bindings on them. I have skins for them. But the ski is a ski area type that is round on both ends. The skins don't snap on these. The skin is the kind that has a flat hook to hook on the back and a loop to fit over the front tip. (I assume this is the only kind)

The front tip on the ski has a plastic protector that I figure I can trip with a knife to make the skin fit on. But the back? Do I cut out a little notch?

Anyone dealt with this before and can offer either useful or pointless advice?

thanks

gene

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this same issue and it was recommended that I cut a notch out on the tail. I was really reluctant to do this. I ended up putting about 3-4 layers of duct tape right where the clip is so it kind of digs in to the tape. So far it's worked great.

You might also try drilling a hold just big enough for the skin hook. This may be less structurally damaging than a notch. Never tried it though. Curious to know what you end up doing as I am looking at buying a pair of twin tip skis and will have the same issue.

Use a dremel and grind a small, shallow notch just wide enough for the tail attachment. Epoxy if you hit anything other than just plastic to prevent water infiltration.

hucking big in the backcountry with your twin tips, eh?

edit: http://www.backcountry.com/store/newsletter/s3/a100/Twin-Tip-Ski-Climbing-Skin-Tips.html

Edited by kurthicks

All those suggested fixes will likely give you some nice tail delams in a few years.

1. Don't buy twin tips for backcountry

2. If you somehow end up with twintips by some cosmic event, use a standard loop on the tip but use the old green rubber tip loops for your tail attachment.

3. See #1

If you have the Black Diamond Clipfix, it will probably give you pain. If you have the STS tail system, they work fine on rounded tails. The twin tip actually seems to keep the tail on better, because it holds the clip up out of the snow.

I call bullshit on that.

<.5mm is about the thickness of two sheets of printer paper.

(Yes, I measured).

Not enough to adequately secure a tailhook.

10 yd foul for taking me seriously ;)

You don't need much of a notch.

Yeah, yeah, "twintips suck" - unless you are going custom most decent skis are twins these days

Forty years of notched tails has yielded zero delaminations or other regrets.

I can't see a purpose for twin tips for regular old skiing, but they appear to be taking over the world.

For touring and deep snow skiing I also think the current rage of low, super blunt tips are a step backwards. I don't think they stay up as well as the pointy high ones either breaking trail up or coming down.

For touring and deep snow skiing I also think the current rage of low, super blunt tips are a step backwards. I don't think they stay up as well as the pointy high ones either breaking trail up or coming down.

I agree.

I have one pair of super high rise tips (Arnos) which break trail awesome, ski all conditions awesome, and in general rock except they've had too many ski days :(

In 5 years I'm sure the pendulum will reverse :)

Back to the problem...

I have done many tours with twin tips. I have no problems if the tension is adjusted correctly. If a problem occurs with or with out twin tips just use a ski strap. I always bring a few just in case.

The ski shop who fit these skins f**ked up and didn’t account for the big tips (loops were too small). Straps saved the tour. I know these are on the front but it works much better in the back.

BTW I no longer tour with a twin tip.

Bad_skins.jpg

I use Black Diamond Glidlites with the STS attachment and have no problems on my twin tip skis. I've actually had far fewer problems than my friends with non-turned-up tails who always seem to be losing the attachment as it drags in the snow.

Twin tips have slight benefits aside from riding backwards but the real problem with them in the BC is not being able to stick them into the snow.

Im rockin' a pair of Line Prophets, with a turned up tail. And let me tell you, i don't think i have ever been so frustrated with my skins (a pair of G3s) coming off the tail of them. I was just thinking i would throw some ducktape on the backs, and call it good. I dont think i could bring myself to notch the tails.... But thanks guys for the info, its nice to know im not the only person with this problem.

Im rockin' a pair of Line Prophets, with a turned up tail. And let me tell you, i don't think i have ever been so frustrated with my skins (a pair of G3s) coming off the tail of them.

Weird... my skins never come off the tails of my Havocs. If anything, they're so secure that its almost a PITA to take them off when you want to. I guess the radius of the turned up tail can make a big difference.