Seattle-Portland, I-5 Friday

ClimbingPanther

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually coming I-5 south that time of day isnt that bad... getting out of the SEA/Tacoma/Oly mess will be key (leave as early as you can) but as most turds (Kevbone, etc ;) ) live in Vancouver and commute into PDX to work they are all headed North that time of day... hardly anyone lives in PDX and works in Vancouver (i.e. headed south at that time of day). You might catch a little congestion but nothing like the property tax duckers headed north

Honestly unless you get delayed getting out SEA/etc you should be in PDX in 3.5 easy... just listen to the radio when you are 1/2 hour out and see if anything is messed up...

Where in PDX are you headed? This will matter...

thanks John, that was my feeling from when I used to live there but I'm glad to hear it from a current native.

It's my fiancee coming from SEA, I'm coming in from 84. I think we'll try to meet in Portland proper for dinner, hang out, then head south to Wilsonville when rush hour has died down.

Any good ideas for east-side dinner, near the interstates 84-5 convergence? Not real familiar with that area, except for the Montage.

You should have her take the I-205 cut-off into east Portland and meet up at the I-84/I-205 interchange, THEN head downtown. There aren't a lot of people who commute to vancouver from pdx but I-5 is always challenging during the rush hour commute--both directions. A lot of people head south (like to wilsonville) and traffic can be backed up all the way to the bridge.

Also, there are TONS of excellent restaurants on the east side depending on yoru desires and appetite.

By avoiding downtown altogether you can take I-205 straight into Wilsonville.

205 is always worse than I-5 south IMO. Meeting up at the interchange is a great plan though...

If you mean the section of 205 going from Portland to Wilsonville I will have to agree with you--during rush hour. After rush hour it clears up pretty nicely and he did talk about sitting out the rush hour getting his drink on. The section of 205 from the Couve to PDX is pretty mellow during rush hour.