$125 climbing harness?

Hugh Conway

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had a few @ the canmore ice festival... sick sick lightweight.

Bottom line: Some of us will justify the price for weight savings... some of us wont.

Just like when wire gates came out... most of us felt replacing all our biners with wire gates was worth the weight savings. Some of us didnt/dont.

So no more info other than it's "really light" and costs nearly twice as much as (say) a Petzl Hirundos or three times the cost of the Camp XLH 95 - which according to Camp's head of product development weights "fuck all" (he says it with a funny Euro accent).

The dead Bird marketing guggernaut will have to do better than that. I'm all for paying for lightweight just not about paying for someone to tell me it's lightweight (when it's probably not).

Does anyone have a link to more info?

You know between this thread and the thread on their china production, it sure is "in" to bash on Arc'teryx.

Yeah their products are priced out of the stratosphere, but they do continue to innovate. I've worn some of those other ultralight harnesses and hanging belays are not fun. If you want to buy a cheaper CAMP harness, go ahead. I'm not sure why all this vitriol directed towards Arc'teryx exists. They make some innovative, slick looking items. Sure, they sew some shit. Sure, some of it isn't "worth" the premium.

Is the existence of something out of your price range worth coming onto a website just to bash it?

Personally, if a company wants to make an uber comfortable, indestructible harness and charge a boat load for it, sign me up. The jury is still out on Arc'teryx's attempt. Harnesses are worth a premium if you spend enough time in them. The covert scarf ... well maybe some rich kid will buy one, and arc'teryx will continue to make some innovative products.

The innovation of the new technology is to remove most of the vertical strands from the webbing across the back of the waistband which is then spread over the area where padding was used to spread the force. The wide webbing means they don't need as much padding so it's lighter. Apparently they're quite comfortable especially given the weight. The waistband is also much thinner which is nice for chimneys and for wearing under packs.

They also somehow designed the gear loops so that you can angle your gear forward or toward your arse depending on preference and what kind of climbing you'll be doing.

They look nice but I doubt I can afford one. If they work maybe the price will come down in a few years.

You know between this thread and the thread on their china production, it sure is "in" to bash on Arc'teryx.

Yeah their products are priced out of the stratosphere, but they do continue to innovate. I've worn some of those other ultralight harnesses and hanging belays are not fun. If you want to buy a cheaper CAMP harness, go ahead. I'm not sure why all this vitriol directed towards Arc'teryx exists. They make some innovative, slick looking items. Sure, they sew some shit. Sure, some of it isn't "worth" the premium.

Is the existence of something out of your price range worth coming onto a website just to bash it?

Personally, if a company wants to make an uber comfortable, indestructible harness and charge a boat load for it, sign me up. The jury is still out on Arc'teryx's attempt. Harnesses are worth a premium if you spend enough time in them. The covert scarf ... well maybe some rich kid will buy one, and arc'teryx will continue to make some innovative products.

What bashing?

What vitriol?

People are pointing out that comparable products already exist for much less money. That's not what I would call animosity. If you want animosity, look up "Muir on Saturday".

They had a few @ the canmore ice festival... sick sick lightweight.

Bottom line: Some of us will justify the price for weight savings... some of us wont.

Just like when wire gates came out... most of us felt replacing all our biners with wire gates was worth the weight savings. Some of us didnt/dont.

man, i was gonna send this siiiiiick proj, but then i fell off...i think my harness was too damn heavy!! :rolleyes: