Anyone ever lost a kid before?

RuMR

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he was a little freaked out UNTIL he saw me and how distraught i was then he got really really upset. Alls well that ends well and stuff got smoothed over with icecream and hot chocolate...

the little turkey zipped ahead from the dad that was watching him and his own kids (i had my other boy and his buddy on a different part)and thought they were ahead of him and blazed off down the hill.

He thought they'd moved to another chair and so he went, loaded himself and went to another completely different section of the mountain from where he separated from his group. 5 year old logic!!!!!

He was waiting at the top for us, and started crying. Some lady asked him what was up and skiied him down to the base and we got back together...

Edited by RuMR

lost my (then) 6 year old at Stevens last year. It was our "last run" and the kids wanted to go down the terrain/trees halfway down "Hoot and Holler". Somehow he got behind us, and we popped out on the run above Daisy. We waited and waited. He never showed and we figured he must have skied down. We called to him. No answer. We skied down - and he wasn't there. The lifts were closed, and it was dusk. We called the ski patrol. They found him sitting on the trail crying, with a bloody nose. He says a snowboarder knocked him over. Lucky for the snowboarder I didn't see that...

lost my (then) 6 year old at Stevens last year. It was our "last run" and the kids wanted to go down the terrain/trees halfway down "Hoot and Holler". Somehow he got behind us, and we popped out on the run above Daisy. We waited and waited. He never showed and we figured he must have skied down. We called to him. No answer. We skied down - and he wasn't there. The lifts were closed, and it was dusk. We called the ski patrol. They found him sitting on the trail crying, with a bloody nose. He says a snowboarder knocked him over. Lucky for the snowboarder I didn't see that...

you know, most of the time i think my kids are pretty tough and selfreliant...it just takes something like this and you really understand that despite how capable they are, they are still very very helpless in a lot of ways...

you must have been sick with fear and dread...

Yes, and I too blew chunks over it.

Now we have a plan, with a set time and place to meet if we get separated, and everyone has a walkie-talkie.

i personally have been in many sketchy situations and have never ever felt this way...this was literally scared to death for me...i didn't feel "right" for several hours later and had a hard time sleeping (not nightmares, just kept milling the day through my head)...had to get up at 2 in the morning and drink several beers and get loopy to finally put it down...

Just makes you realize how much "luck" is involved in getting them raised...

Now we have a plan, with a set time and place to meet if we get separated, and everyone has a walkie-talkie.

Plan has now been discussed as well as time. In the process of getting cell phones and radios...

suggestions??

... He says a snowboarder knocked him over. Lucky for the snowboarder I didn't see that...

I got to get me a helmet.

my kids have helmets. I don't... yet. Gotta get one now that they drag me onto scary ass terrain.

Yeah man! I totally hear you. Me too. My kids don't do nothing on wheels, skis or boads with out a helmet. I think I am going to use my climbing helmet until I get a ski helet.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions on a good ski helmet?

No kids of my own, but I know at various times growing up my sister got left briefly at a gas station, I wandered off at the state fair (and before they had too much time to freak they were paged over the intercom to come pick me up), and my sister thought it would be fun to spend an hour playing hide and seek in Glacier National Park restaurant coat closet :P

Plan has now been discussed as well as time. In the process of getting cell phones and radios...

suggestions??

We use radios as not everyone has a cell phone and not every ski resort has cell phone service. Well, used to not have the cell phone service. they might now all have service don't know.

suggestions??

although not as waterproof, i think cell phones work better once the kids are skiing more independently. there's about a brazillion folks on the mountains with radios. gets confusing for the kids to use them.

Your first sentence, "I lost my kid at stevens pass yesterday" sure gave my stomach a serious flip flop until I read on and realized it was only temporary, rather than more grevious and permanent.

I'm glad it worked out, it gets better as they get older and you realize they've learned common sense and are able to formulate plan b on the fly. I'm sure you'll spend some time in debriefing, and next time he'll have a better sense of what to do, and you'll know better what to expect.

First time I ever took my son alpine climbing on the N ridge of Stuart I warned him, "you know, if we die, I'm going to be in so much trouble."

Seriously though, I understand your reaction, but odds are in favor of survival: all of us lot made it through to adulthood through all kinds of sketchy situations with likely less parental attention than kids get today. The key is coping skills and confidence, not luck. I think it's important to share stories with your kids even if they don't reflect favorably on yourself, there are lessons for them to learn from a parent's missteps. Contrary to popular fears, it doesn't translate into permission to fuck up on their own.

I lost my 5 yo at Stevens Pass yesterday for 2 hours. I have never been that terrified in my life before...

wound up puking over fear...

lost mine for 15 minutes at Snoqualmie Pass yesterday. I could not imagine what 2 hours must have been like.

Glad to hear it did end well.

yeah...i think he's no worse for the wear...the weird thing, is that if it was the older kid (he's 8), i would have absolutely the opposite reaction...

He'd likely be sniffing out some stash of untracked powder and ripping it up as opposed to lost...

oh...kevbone...STFU...

you know, most of the time i think my kids are pretty tough and selfreliant...it just takes something like this and you really understand that despite how capable they are, they are still very very helpless in a lot of ways...

you must have been sick with fear and dread...

I'd compare the feeling with how I think I'd feel if I was 4 pitches up a remote route with no walk-off, setting up a rappel, and dropping my only rope.