the ice is in!!! TR-commute to work

minx

Commute to Work – 3 pitches of ice.

The driveway is a moderate although not the least bit enjoyable pitch. You reach the base by sliding to the bottom with arms flailing, eventually coming to the base of the climb on your ass. After reaching the base of the route, be sure to gather everything lost during the gear explosion that happened on the way down.

The lower third of the route is quite steep and provides little in the way of protection. Move through this section gingerly. You may want to move to the right to use the vegetation. You can get some good sticks in the frozen moss….er lawn. Mid way up the route you’ll reach a nice bumper to use for pro and little further on is a very inviting door handle. Be careful with the handle or you’ll swing off the route unexpectedly. The upper third of the route is a tricky set of steps leading back to the front door. Do this section only you’ve forgotten to grab your boss’s holiday gift.

Housewife Hill will provide a minimal technical challenge for the experienced driver but lots of entertainment. It’s also the only way to access the rest of the route. The ice is thin but you’re sure to encounter lots of gumbies with the latest gear. Watch out for these rookies they seem to hang out near the edge of the route but manage to clog it up for the rest of us.

The last technical pitch is the crop circle. Although this is short and seems simple enough it has several technical challenges. The ice here is solid and makes for a spicy lead. Watch out for the sliding delivery trucks and no traction at all. The right equipment (good tires) is absolutely imperative here (as is the ability to fishtale into the flow of traffic not against it)

The rest of the drive is cruiser over easy terrain. Go for speed.

All in all this route is mediocre but a must do. With the ice being in, it made for a more interesting than normal commute. SI4 (suburban ice)

Gear Notes: Good shoes (flat soled boots not recommended), an ice scraper, cup of coffee.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked outside this morning. Bike or not to bike.

I wanted to bike - frost was everywhere.

I donned my down coat and walked up and down the street testing the grippiness of the asphalt. Mostly good, but some slippery parts. Woah, a frozen puddle. Not good.

It felt to be above freezing.

Maybe it's OK to bike?

I'm biking.

No. Wait, I don't want to eat shit on the mercer slough, or the hill down Factoria.

Screw it, I'm driving.

I'm a planet killer.

I donned my down coat and walked up and down the street testing the grippiness of the asphalt. Mostly good, but some slippery parts. Woah, a frozen puddle. Not good.

Maybe it's OK to bike?

I'm biking.

No. Wait, I don't want to eat shit on the mercer slough, or the hill down Factoria.

Screw it, I'm driving.

I'm a planet killer.

What do you wear to keep the head of manhood from freezing? I don't seem to have a good enough idea to have a comfortable ride.

Maybe it's OK to bike?

I'm biking.

Screw it, I'm driving.

I'm a planet killer.

What do you wear to keep the head of manhood from freezing? I don't seem to have a good enough idea to have a comfortable ride.

I don't have that problem. For me it's a battle between a cold head (not that head!) and numb fingers or overheating/sweating. Typically I wear long sleeves, a regular biking jersey, regulay padded pants and no skull cap and no jacket. If the temps are below 40, I often wear a jacket for the ride in to Seattle, but no jacket going home, even if it is as cold as 35. I just pedal harder.