Denali Expedition 2008 - Looking for 10-12 member

vertical_hiker

I have no issues if this guy wants to put together a Christian team for Denali... but if I were on the West Butt and these guys approached me and started preaching I would go off on them. Do what you want --- but leave everyone else alone.

It's bad enough being belittled by the light and fast denomination when you're hauling up wheels of cheese and enough whiskey to last 3 weeks. But being stuck in 14 camp with a crew holding religious gatherings would drive me mad!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never do it, but my favorite climbing story was the account of climbing Leaning Tower with nothing to eat for the whole trip but pbr and Vienna sausages. That was a great story.

As far as the God Squad goes they can do whatever they want but leave the rest of us out of it.

Mission Denali Expedition 2008

Yes, we are looking for a team of climbers to climb Denali (Mt. McKinley, Alaska) with us, (climbingforchrist.org) as a mission to help others on the mountain. (10-12 members only, this is not a guided expedition, so it's inexpensive because there is no profit, but we expect team players). We will attempt the Summit, via West Buttress, but we are committed to serving people on the mountain as God leads us. If you are interested, please visit this website: Mission Denali 2008 and fill out an application if you fulfill some the prerequisites.

Thank you. If you have any questions, please email me.

Date:May 12 (arrive in Anchorage) to June 6, 2008.

Team: 10-12 members.

Estimated Cost: $1825 (inexpensive because it's not a guided profit trip)

I am an atheist and I find that open discussions about my beliefs usually lead to arguments with believers of faith. So, I usually keep my opinions regarding religion to myself. Is that right or wrong? I don’t care to know, it’s my way. My initial thoughts to the advert for climbers was annoyance because I felt like you were using a climb to preach to convert climbers you’d bump into along the way. Then I started thinking what I would do if I saw you on the mountain... Nothing. I am cordial and respectful to people that are the same to me. If you decided to “preach” to me you’d probably get me into a good discussion which would inevitably lead to an argument. I would go back to my tent and drink some scotch and play cards quickly forgetting our discussion. If I saw you standing on a soap box with bible in hand screaming to the heavens, I’d stop and take your picture, then move on... . Are you going to be doing that? I don’t believe so by your posts and web page. You don’t appear to be doing anything other than advertising for climbers to take part in an expedition with other like minded faithful folks. Have fun and climb safe!

I love guitar. Asking me to leave my guitar at home is like asking you to leave your sleeping bag at home (except that a guitar doesn't keep me warm).

You're dead wrong there baby Jeebus. After the 3rd verse of "Praise the lord and pass the collection plate" I'd slice your tent open, grab that infernal noisemaker, break it into tiny splinters, douse it in white gas and put a match to it. You would then see that it would keep you warm....for a short time.

wow, athiest cc friend, I like your thinking. You're creative in your expression. Well put. Yes, we want to hang out together, climb, summit together, read the bible together, and meet people on the mountain, help people on the mountain if we can. We're casual. We're not Jehovah's Witnesses, going to knock on your tent door suited up. We're freakin climbers with scars, friends have died in our arms in the mountains, we've fallen into crevasses before, have toe jam from wearing boots too long, who really love to climb, and who happen to love God and want to do what's right in his eyes. I think most of the views thus far on Christians is so hijacked, that we're all lumped together under one label, that sucks. There are many genuine believers who are real, honest frail humans who are not fake and will be direct and truthful, who don't have their act together, like myself. But we're trying to live the best we can for God. If I believed that someone was going to die, I would want to save them, but I can't save someone that doesn't want saving.

On the mountain, we want to hang out with people, no intentions of "converting" people. If the conversation comes up, then God wants it to happen, and that means both people want to talk. Otherwise, shoving it down someone's throat is not my style, or the guys we climb with, and for that, we respect.

Oh yes, and if I saw a guy on a soapbox, I would take a picture as well.

pray inwardly...to yourself.

There is no need to do it in public, with others. Do it while you are going about your daily life, in a car, on a mountain, on the toilet, your god can hear you. When I see anyone standing in a circle, facing the sky, hands upturned, in a public place, that is in your face. No less than Jehovas or Mormons etc. If you believe good on ya, just do it to yourself please. My god is Mother nature the true almighty. I talk to her to myself.

There is no need to do it in public, with others. Do it while you are going about your daily life, in a car, on a mountain, on the toilet, your god can hear you. When I see anyone standing in a circle, facing the sky, hands upturned, in a public place, that is in your face. No less than Jehovas or Mormons etc. If you believe good on ya, just do it to yourself please. My god is Mother nature the true almighty. I talk to her to myself.

This is not my style. I would feel foolish. But I would not care if someone else did it any more than I would care if someone were publically expressing their opinions on atheism. I like living in a free society where I am exposed to countless variations on the ways of life and world views.

Why fear them?

You're one angry fella, Joseph. Why do you willingly grant jihadis separation from Islam... but then paint all Christians with the same brush? As for our nation's disgraceful extermination/reservation/assimilation policies re native Americans, you should note that these policies were vastly more about economics and greed than religion. I would award land speculators - now known as developers - and their willing government puppets with the bloody hands award in this regard. Not Christians.

i know JH and he doesn't have an angry bone in his body. we don't see eye to eye on many things but JH is a gentle caring man. if there is a god, which i don't know if there is, i would think he would be god dam proud of his creation. he is selfless and would give every shirt in his closet let alone the one on his back. he is not a bragger, children love him, and i do believe he fights the good fight. he is everything jesus christ might be and more in IMHO. god is not an institution, it is a personnel endeavor that isn't the same for everyone. i could go on and on but i'm here to stand behind JH and his right to express his belief. IMO he hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Edited by pink

This is not my style. I would feel foolish. But I would not care if someone else did it any more than I would care if someone were publically expressing their opinions on atheism. I like living in a free society where I am exposed to countless variations on the ways of life and world views.

Why fear them?

no fear, just the idea that religion is a personal belief and that one should respect that idea. When that personal belief is displayed in public, who is it for? The god or whatever, or those that happen to witness it. Are these people doing this to show everyone what a great (insert religion of any flavour) they are? I am just saying that there is no need to do it publicly and that most people I know don't like it when it happens. You could say religion is like a fart, everyone has them but when they are shared the only one enjoying it is the farter. ( I just thought of this, and shall use it regularly)

I'd like to thank Joseph Healy (of Portland, OR) for roped soloing the first two pitches of Beulah's Book in order to bring the stranded ladies jackets and heat packs at 4 AM. Soon after first light, Mike Ward and John Goebel (of Blue Diamond) climbed to the ledge at the top of pitch 2 of Beulah's Book to assist in the rescue. At twilight, the ladies had rapped from the anchors atop Johnny Vegas, but had pendulumed left to Beulah's Book to try to retrieve stuck gear. With such a severe angle, the ropes would not pull and they spent the night on the small ledge with temps falling to the low 30's.

JH has a little in common with vertical hiker except JH doesn't have a website an agenda or a propensity to brag about his goodwill toward others in the name of whatever.

Edited by pink

Ah, so now it's a "calm philosophy" - hard to find a more benign wrapper than that.

...But you start reading about their 'missions' to various Muslim countries and it all takes on a much less benign tone and set of consequences. And it's amazing how, in a world increasingly corrupted by fundamentalism - including our own country, that any time someone calls these folks on their shit they are immediately 'extreme', 'vehement', or otherwise painted as radical. Climbers for Christ is about exactly the kind of 'crusade' the world needs far less of and I make no apologies at all for my views on their activities.

I dunno. Still sounds kind of angry to me.

I'd like to thank Joseph Healy (of Portland, OR) for roped soloing the first two pitches of Beulah's Book in order to bring the stranded ladies jackets and heat packs at 4 AM. Soon after first light, Mike Ward and John Goebel (of Blue Diamond) climbed to the ledge at the top of pitch 2 of Beulah's Book to assist in the rescue. At twilight, the ladies had rapped from the anchors atop Johnny Vegas, but had pendulumed left to Beulah's Book to try to retrieve stuck gear. With such a severe angle, the ropes would not pull and they spent the night on the small ledge with temps falling to the low 30's.

JH has a lot in common with vertical hiker except JH doesn't have a website or an agenda.

Cool

JH has a lot in common with vertical hiker except JH doesn't have a website or an agenda.

I don't know about a website, but he certainly has an agenda - as do we all.

not when it comes to helping others he doesn't.

Seems likely to me that vertical hiker would do the same.

notice i said they have a little in common. look up bro.

Edited by pink