5,000 Years Ago No One Had Blue Eyes

G-spotter

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's surprising that the continental gene pools are drifting apart rather than together. i wonder if the modern world will change that with increased transcontinental immigration.

oh, and God only put those genetic differences there to confuse us. it's kind of like a trick question.

speaking of biology in the day's news there's a great article on metabolism and finn whale feeding habits in nytimes.com.

I've been wondering lately about the possible effect of plastic surgery and orthodentistry on human evolution. Are we hiding genetic weaknesses so that we will become ever more dependent on surgeons for survival?

With all the jokes about the British smile at least they're honest about an ugly trait. I'm going to come clean now and admit that the beautiful smile I currently posses was once a hideous snarl. :eek:

There may be an increase of mutations due to the world shrinking but is this happening in a productive manner? What good is a gene that makes you resistant to a viral strain in Africa to a Canadian? Is there a possible dilution of useful mutations that could lead to genetic weakness in the end? :crazy:

I've been wondering lately about the possible effect of plastic surgery and orthodentistry on human evolution. Are we hiding genetic weaknesses so that we will become ever more dependent on surgeons for survival?

With all the jokes about the British smile at least they're honest about an ugly trait. I'm going to come clean now and admit that the beautiful smile I currently posses was once a hideous snarl. :eek:

There may be an increase of mutations due to the world shrinking but is this happening in a productive manner? What good is a gene that makes you resistant to a viral strain in Africa to a Canadian? Is there a possible dilution of useful mutations that could lead to genetic weakness in the end? :crazy:

i think it's a mistake to worry about where evolution is going; the whole thing is an accident to begin with. had it been guided for human purposes the human race might be less violent for instance, instead of human nature leading us to have wars all the time.

The article says that we don't know what's been happening with evolution in the last 2000 years. Hmmm, nothing much has happened in the technology/human migration/ interaction standpoint in that time; humans must be continuing to evolve as they were back then.

Point of order for us blue eyed mutants; the article also didn't state that there were no blue eyes 5000 years ago.

the article also didn't state that there were no blue eyes 5000 years ago.

UR READING COMPREHENSION. U BROKED IT.

Researchers found evidence of recent selection in 7% of all human genes, including lighter skin and blue eyes in northern Europe and partial resistance to diseases, such as malaria, among some African populations.

"Five thousand years is such a small sliver of time," said co-author Professor John Hawks of the University of Wisconsin, Madison. "It's 100 or 200 generations ago. That's how long since some of these genes originated, and today they are [in] 30% or 40% of people because they've had such an advantage."

the article also didn't state that there were no blue eyes 5000 years ago.

UR READING COMPREHENSION. U BROKED IT.

Researchers found evidence of recent selection in 7% of all human genes, including lighter skin and blue eyes in northern Europe and partial resistance to diseases, such as malaria, among some African populations.

"Five thousand years is such a small sliver of time," said co-author Professor John Hawks of the University of Wisconsin, Madison. "It's 100 or 200 generations ago. That's how long since some of these genes originated, and today they are [in] 30% or 40% of people because they've had such an advantage."

Uh, nope. My reading comprehension still appears to be fine. Your OCD response still doesn't connect the dots, brah.

also, you all forget that the more peacefull people, for instance most of the peaceful native american tribes were/are wiped out peacefull tribes in africa became slaves and were sold by other more agressive tribes to whom ever was buying. peaceful people tend to be happy with the land and life, warlords conqer other peoples, and there for tend to take over the gene pool as well as rewrite history to their liking.

I think it is rediculous to say "humans have reached the terminal end of their evolution", because these processes never stop. There are infinate ways we could go; just look at how many species of apes there are (because this is not a religious debate)! We shared an ancestor with ALL OF THEM. It seems practical that hundreds of thousands of years from now, humans may have split up into more than one specie, or been nearly killed off [again] by some global catastrophy. My point is, we don't know, and it is stupid to try and [CONTROL] these forces.

also, you all forget that the more peacefull people, for instance most of the peaceful native american tribes were/are wiped out peacefull tribes in africa became slaves and were sold by other more agressive tribes to whom ever was buying. peaceful people tend to be happy with the land and life, warlords conqer other peoples, and there for tend to take over the gene pool as well as rewrite history to their liking.

We are still all homosapien. It doesn't matter.

The technology revolution coupled with resource depletion are ignited a new spurt in human evolution. Since the dawn of agriculture humans have selected for potential for their relative productive capacity within their localized society. Resource depletion can no longer support a system of prosperity and pro-creative desirability that is coupled with human labor and therefore population growth, however. The planet will soon have to de-populate, so a future system of prosperity that is decoupled from human labor will be created. The advent of artificial, creative intelligence and self replicating technologies will decouple prosperity from human labor, allowing de-population not only to occur, but to be favored by policy. Public policy, the ethics of sustainability, and economics will discourage large families. A gay lifestyle will not only become accepted, but encouraged. Gay marriages will flourish, produce more offspring, and the gay gene pool will expand. An increase in homosexual voter numbers will reinforce policies that encourage homosexuality; a positive feedback loop that will result in a natural selection for gay genes. In short, homosapiens will become more homo over time. In contrast, those who in the present world survive by physical labor, which will be less valuable over time, will become increasingly less desireable as mates. Their relative numbers will diminish. The goatee and mullet genes will eventually be bred out of the population. Similarly, the Born Again and Far Right genes, painfully obsolete even now, will also simply be bred out of the population. Genetic engineering will, of course, be employed to accelerate this process as the those in power become increasingly impatient with those who cling to the resource depletion model of human progress. Eventually, humankind will become a race of tall, buff, hip, hyper sensitive, giggly, well dressed metro-sexual liberals with a passion for gardening, collecting antique trucker paraphenalia and yelling at the robot help.

When the nanobots finally take over, they won't know what hit them.