Patagucci Down Sweater??

Blake

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call Billcoe! If you "debate" the weight, it's worth it.

I would choose synthetic insulation for something like the sweater so I could wear it under a shell and not have to worry about it getting wet from sweat and the warmth won't be effected as much by the compression of the layers. Some might prefer the better compressibility of down.

I have to second hafilax on this one. I have a functional Montbell Thermawrap that stuff and clips very nice to my harness but for more serious outings I'll go with DAS Parka. Have the primaloft absorb the moisture worry about more important things like climbing.

Bill, yeah, I was wearing it climbing up to the girls during the rescue and it was nice to have. Once I got up to them I was bordering on overheated with the UnderArmor layers I had on underneath it so one of the girls got the steaming warm down sweater and was pretty glad to get it.

I looked at a couple of these things before forcing myself to buy the Patagonia one, but I didn't think to check either FF or Montbell's (bummer). I have to admit to being a bit shocked at the rate it sheds down (fast) and I wouldn't count on it being at all abrasion-resistant, at least not by Red Rocks standards.

I also bought one of there 'Houdini' packs and added gear slings to it. It was also supposed to be abrasion-resistant with 30-denier fabric on the back surface of the pack. Well, two days before the Oak Canyon epic we had a twelve hour near-epic romp up Mt. Wilson and the Houdini pack was thoroughly sliced and diced by the time we made it back to the cars, so I don't think I'd have much faith in the durability of 20-denier fabric.

• 1 month later...