Movies that blow

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

King Kong. Just caught it on DVD. Sucked macaca balls. Some editing, ANY editing might have improved it. Cutting every scene would have been even better.
You must be referring to the most recent version. You should have seen the 1976 Dino De Laurentis version!

My Dad and I went to see it at Laguna Theater and we laughed so hard we almost got thrown out of the joint.

...at least if you've read the poem

What are the odds of that...

If you haven't read it, Ivan, latter-day scop and vessel of the spear-danes' legacy, will be more than happy to recite it for you (well, a lot of it anyway).

Then ask him to recite that modern classic "gin & juice" in an irish accent.

the previews for the new beowulf looked idiotic, but it actually got really good reviews. did you go see it Ivan? wondering if it is worth the time/money.

i liked the new king kong. the special effects were amazing and I liked the story.

saw it last night - it wasn't as bad as i expected, and w/ a fair amount of topless angelina jolie, how much can you really bitch? i'm a big fan of the original story though and can't really understand why every director who takes it on chooses to fuck w/ it - the christopher lambert version reduced me to a mass of quivering anger-brain-jelly - the new version keeps a lot of the small, and interesting details from the poem (even managing to squeeze in some of the olde english verses!), but makes titantic changes to the overall plot that left me saying "what in the pluperfect fuck?!?"

cool details they retained:

- unferth's boast and the tale of beowulf's swimming contest w/ brecca

-the "ancestral blade" hrunting and it's eventual melting into just a hilt

- the recent intrusion of christianity into the blood-thirsty pagan world of 6th century denmark

- the theft of a golden cup sparking the rage of the 3rd monster, a dragon, which ultimately kills beowulf

- grendel's death caused by the tearing off of his arm

- the character of wiglaf (only appears at the end of the poem but he musta bribed the director 'cuz he's in the whole damn movie)

- grendel's (and his ma's) hideout in a "mere" beyond a "frost-stiffened wood"

- hrothgar's queen wealthough

- the historical character finn making an apperance

- beowulf doing combat w/ grendel in the buff ("moreover i have heard the monster scorns, in his reckless way, the use of weapons - therefore, to highten hygelac's fame and gladen his heart, i hereby renouce the use of sword and the shelter of the broad shield - hand to hand is how it shall be, a life and death fight w/ the fiend - whichever one death fells must deem it a just judgement by god - fate goes ever, as fate must! (the later line surviving in the film))

what the fuck? issues:

- hrogthgar and beowulf sparing and then fucking grendels ma

- grendel's ma being hawt(!) and not a "tarn-hag"

- hrothgar as a result having no kids (he has 2 in the poem)

- hrothgar commiting suicide

- wealthough lusting after beowulf and later marrying him

- beowulf becoming king of the danes (instead of the geats)

- all but 1 of beowulf's comrades dying (only 1 is killed int he poem)

- beowulf making the crossing from geatland to denmark in a storm (in the poem they "thank god for that easy crossing on a calm sea")

- the dragon being beowulf son

- beowulf cutting off his own arm to slay the dragon

i heard the movie's also done in 3d imax - that'd be much cooler!

-

I wish logged on for this thread before I saw Beowolf last night. Had I known it was all CG, I would have skipped it. It wasn't even partially CG like 300.

The Imax was sold out so I went to Cinerama. Is it my fat ass, or do the seats at cinerama lean back to far? to /quote]

yeah, the cg was wierd enough that if i'd been on acid i'd have had to run screaming from the theatre - but, again, brangelina's nipples, even in cg, were nearly worth the 9$