Where to go this winter?

tthirloway

Where's the best spot in the lower 48 for alpine climbing in December (outside of Washington)?

Say you have 3-4 days to spend, where would you go? Would an ice festival be a better choice?

I have some frequent flier miles that need to get spent. Right now I'm thinking of the Tetons or the Bozeman Ice fest. What is going to be the most bang for my buck?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Alpine in Montana is usually pretty good in December. You can still drive up a ways and there is plenty of snow and ice up high. I like the Bitterroots, Trapper, the Como peaks. Both have nice north faces for those unexpected warm spells.

For alpine climbing you're set... no need to travel.

Since you're looking to burn some FF miles flying somewhere to climb ice could be a good idea:

A few things to consider:

- how are the approaches (the car part) for where you are headed? The hyalite road will eat any standard car rental... you need AWD minimum (unless you are a very very talented snow driver) and potentially some clearance depending on how much snow has fallen... both of which will bump your car rental price up. You might get lucky and know someone who lives where you are headed who has a 4x4. If you go the weekend of the ice festival you *should* be okay with a standard rental but still... it would suck to be "that guy" that get stuck and blocks everyone...

- what will be in? Assuming we get a standard ice season by December Bozeman, Cody, and CAN should be good to go... Ouray would be a good choice as you dont need a monster truck rental car though the potential that the ice park isnt open yet exists... kinda depends on the season they are having.

Finally it has been my experience that going the weekend of the festival you dont actually climb much ice... going the weekend before or even better the weekend after a festival is generally when the crowds are smallest... which means more ice for you!

Hope this helps!

Depends, do you want to go alpine climbing or ice climbing?

If alpine and not in WA, then maybe the San Juans by Ouray (added bonus of the local ice and the park) or the Canadian rockies. The snow can get weird in the rockies by later December though. Also not technically in the lower 48 ;) Bug's suggestion of Montana is a good one. Fairly accessible and within a reasonable drive for us washingtonians.

For pure ice, you can't beat Hyalite, the Canadian rockies and Ouray that time of year.

I've only been climbing in the Tetons in the summer, so I have no advice there.

However, I would consider using your miles to fly someplace warm and sunny for a midwinter break (Red Rocks, Joshua Tree, Arizona) and just drive to the alpine destinations (Canmore, Bozeman, Jackson, Mazama, etc).

Just an idea.