Bibler Vestibules - Do you use 'em?

jared_j

Well, do ya, punk?

If you do, what is your experience? Are they flimsy in the wind? Do you trip getting in/out since they don't unzip all the way to the ground?

Thanks in advance for not letting this turn into one of the tent thread's greatest hits ("single vs. double wall","buy a hilleberg no wait buy a bibler no wait get one of the epic fabric BDs", "who needs vestibules anyhoo since you shouldn't be out in the mtns in bad weather", etc).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got one for my fitzroy. Never use it. The tent is kinda a jumbo 2 person rig, so most of the gear that needs to be inside fits inside. It pitches pretty nuclear proof though, almost hard to get the pole into it's little sleeve. The tent has 2 doors, so gear goes into one door (in vestibule), people go out the other. I really only bring it if it's gonna be raining/snowing a crapton and I have a ton of gear (usually not a very often combination for me). Probably the best use of it is for cooking when you want it to be out of the wind, but aren't intersted in the "awesomeness" of CO poisoning.

Anyway, think about what circumstances you would really need it for... then imagine adding another pound or so to your already overstuffed backpack. Then imagine how much beer you could buy with $100. Then go buy one anyway.

As pictured below, I've got one. I find it too small to be useful, flimsy, poorly designed and rarely remains fastened to the bottom of the poles throughout the night when windy (I keep thinking that I'm not fastening it correctly, but nothing really seems to improve the bad habit). All-in-all, a dissappointment considering what the tent cost me.

175610269_ce15e3e75c_b.jpg

Just a random thought from somebody with no experience at these tents:

It might be worthwhile to get a tent and vestibule if it allows you to choose a smaller tent for most purposes, and then bring the vestibule only when strictly neccesay (ie big gear, lotsa peeps...)

• 2 weeks later...