Slab East of 11worth?

rbwen

I drive by that large slab on the south side of the road about two miles EAST of Leavenworth a lot and always stare up at it wondering if someone has climbed it. I think there's a short description in the Smoot book on Washington. Anyone stopped in the pullout and ran up that slab? Top-roped off the trees?

I'm not thinking of climbing it but my curiousity is always piqued when I'm there.

Thanks!

rbwen

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have differentiated between the decomposing sandstone slab and the nicer looking granite slab. I think the decomposing one is closer to town and has supports and water pipes coming out of it. Everyone knows those are aid and therefore that shouldn't be climbed. No, this slab is a bit further east, I believe it's just around the corner from Prey's Fruit Barn and the new Homefires Bakery.

Mmm...Homefires piques my interest too. Anyone been to the new one? Wait...wait...answer my first question first.

rbwen

I drive by that large slab on the south side of the road about two miles EAST of Leavenworth a lot and always stare up at it wondering if someone has climbed it. I think there's a short description in the Smoot book on Washington. Anyone stopped in the pullout and ran up that slab? Top-roped off the trees?

I'm not thinking of climbing it but my curiousity is always piqued when I'm there.

Thanks!

rbwen

I think there are a couple of routes on it going back at least 30 years, but it has a reputation as being really "sandy" sandstone, plus there's a highway running directly beneath it. I think one of the routes was named "George Wallace".

Everyone knows those are aid and therefore that shouldn't be climbed.

???? Huh????What's that mean?????

Hmmm, is this the slab with "Suncups" on it, an old (I think) Yoder & McGowan route? The slab I'm thinking of is definitely gray sandstone ala Peshastin, right next to the road. I'm think I climbed a route on it maybe 25 years ago, but I've pretty effectively blocked out the memory.

Also I think its called "Shit Slab" ????

From the Brooks and Whitelaw "Washington Rock" guide (1982)"

"East of Leavenworth 2.2 miles on US Highway 2 is Sandy Slab, a piece of rock immediately adjacent to the road. On the left side, 50 feet above the road and next to a group of pines, is Get Your Wings, a 5.8 route. The pitch is fixed, as area all the routes on this slab, and ends at a small pine. It is possible to traverse off left or rappel with two ropes. Never On A Sunday, 5.7, starts just right of Wings in a flaky depression and ends at the same tree."

The description goes on about routes called A-1, I Shot My Baby, Fascist Rule, and Suncups. (I believe I did the A-1 route back in the late 80's. Pretty unforgettable climbing as I remember.)

The guide also mentions something called "S. Slab" near Peshastin that has a fence at its base. There are iron rods that are tied off for belays at the top of routes called Lilies of the Field and Catching the Sun.

No, this slab is a bit further east, I believe it's just around the corner from Prey's Fruit Barn and the new Homefires Bakery.

Mmm...Homefires piques my interest too. Anyone been to the new one?

rbwen

Why yes, I have, many times! Since Kyle Flick is too shy to rave (his wife owns it now), I will say Homefires is the best bakery in the area. If you're lucky enough to find one there, get a cinnamon croissant twist. The cookies are outstanding.

I'm not sure what B's are... except what I got in Chemistry. Fact is that at the time Don and I thought people who named things after body parts or body functions probably hadnt progressed much beyond those stages in their personal lives.

I still think as much.

But hey, at the time, people actually referred to those routes by those monikers. WE thought they were stupid, the Mounties were apoplectic and the result is C. Crack and S. Slab.

Correct. Richie Doorish and Mark Weigelt did an early route on this thing way back when. I believe the original moniker was Sandy Slab, though, on accounta some early graffitist had painted or otherwise written this word upon the rock.

Butt-ass Arches and Howdy Ledge received their names from similar circumstance.