Gore - Nobel

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the leader of the movement (gore) is not leading by example.

if it is the biggest issue we have to face and worthy of preventing great world wars that the nobel people have claimed. then gore would be doing more.

so he buys carbon offsets. brings his contribution to zero. imagine the contribution he could be making if he bought offsets AND lived a more humble lifestyle? if every little bit counts, it should count for gore also

it should also count for all the climbers too (as just another example) you make yourselves feel better by admitting that you are guilty and that you try to do these other things to make a difference. yet it is still more important to drive 3+ hours to go climb...while you buy backpacks, gear, food etc etc etc...all that gear has plenty of impact in its manufacturing, shipping, waste etc.

if EVERY bit counted... the tree hugger climbers would be doing all the little things - and also sacrificing all the little things.

Yes, sadly "creating a commission" (or blue-ribbon panel of industry experts), is usually as big a lie as "the check's in the mail".

But also sadly, it's amazing that we haven't even come to the delay stage on this one yet. We're still in the deny and distort phase. I think that's gonna change pretty soon though.:ghey:

if it is the biggest issue we have to face and worthy of preventing great world wars that the nobel people have claimed. then gore would be doing more.

so he buys carbon offsets. brings his contribution to zero. imagine the contribution he could be making if he bought offsets AND lived a more humble lifestyle? if every little bit counts, it should count for gore also

it should also count for all the climbers too (as just another example) you make yourselves feel better by admitting that you are guilty and that you try to do these other things to make a difference. yet it is still more important to drive 3+ hours to go climb...while you buy backpacks, gear, food etc etc etc...all that gear has plenty of impact in its manufacturing, shipping, waste etc.

if EVERY bit counted... the tree hugger climbers would be doing all the little things - and also sacrificing all the little things.

Not quite.

Some acts might have more impact, and some less. It's a matter of looking at the impact in the aggregate.

And cutting back, might not mean cutting out completely. For example, I might climb at Snoqualmie Pass more and Washington Pass less. I might buy replacement gear less often, rather than not at all, and buy used more often or rent/borrow more (although the latter might involve driving to pick up and drop off...).

Yes, sadly "creating a commission" (or blue-ribbon panel of industry experts), is usually as big a lie as "the check's in the mail".

But also sadly, it's amazing that we haven't even come to the delay stage on this one yet. We're still in the deny and distort phase. I think that's gonna change pretty soon though.:ghey:

People don't like change. Deal with it. Instead of attacking, lead.

Not quite.

Some acts might have more impact, and some less. It's a matter of looking at the impact in the aggregate.

And cutting back, might not mean cutting out completely. For example, I might climb at Snoqualmie Pass more and Washington Pass less. I might buy replacement gear less often, rather than not at all, and buy used more often or rent/borrow more (although the latter might involve driving to pick up and drop off...).

my point is that if EVERY bit counts... then exactly that. EVERY BIT. climbing at snoqualmie has impact...you can take that impact away by not going.

unless it isn't that much of a dire situation. global warming, that is.

Underworld,

Your argument that we need to do every bit possible basically leads to the conclusion that we can't satisfy your demands until we all kill ourselves (and take as many with as possible).

It would be a good idea to minimize our impact for global warming issues as well as lots of others (pollution, dependence, etc.), but I think you would agree that don't have to go as far as obliterating our methane producing bodies from the planet.

There is some reasonable middle ground. From the data that's out there now (as I understand it) we are not at that middle ground (sustainability). Until we have a target for what we really need to do, it seems reasonable to preach conservation. It also seems reasonable to try to light a fire under leadership's ass in terms of agreeing there is a problem to work on and to allot resources towards working on it, instead of making shit up and distorting the issue.

Not quite.

my point is that if EVERY bit counts... then exactly that. EVERY BIT. climbing at snoqualmie has impact...you can take that impact away by not going.

it's not all or nothing

i'd just like to hear one global warming alamist admit that there is a POSSIBILITY that gore et al could be distorting things as well. it doesn't mean you have to throw out what they are saying. but give a little constructive skeptism to what we hear.

i'm not what you'd call an alarmist (duh) and i admit that those that deny the global warming can and do distort things (too)...

Not quite.

it's not all or nothing

i agree....

the alarmist seem to think it is tho. IMO.

Underworld,

Your argument that we need to do every bit possible basically leads to the conclusion that we can't satisfy your demands until we all kill ourselves (and take as many with as possible).

It would be a good idea to minimize our impact for global warming issues as well as lots of others (pollution, dependence, etc.), but I think you would agree that don't have to go as far as obliterating our methane producing bodies from the planet.

There is some reasonable middle ground. From the data that's out there now (as I understand it) we are not at that middle ground (sustainability). Until we have a target for what we really need to do, it seems reasonable to preach conservation. It also seems reasonable to try to light a fire under leadership's ass in terms of agreeing there is a problem to work on and to allot resources towards working on it, instead of making shit up and distorting the issue.

Americans WASTE. There are easy ways to make a difference with little personal change.

For example, plan you excursions. If you have to drop the kids at a soccer game AND go for groceries, combine them into one trip minimizing distance travelled rather than doing two round-trips.

Underworld,

To that point, I don't recall seeing many vehicles at Rope-up that would get better than 30mpg, or really 25mpg for that matter (outbacks included)

So you'd like to see some Communistic solution to global warming where every person is treated exactly equal.

To that point, I don't recall seeing many vehicles at Rope-up that would get better than 30mpg, or really 25mpg for that matter (outbacks included)

Gosh thanks for that info. Did you get any farting data?

Why do you hate cc.com? (and America)

So you'd like to see some Communistic solution to global warming where every person is treated exactly equal.

Wait a minute, buddy. The communist slogan is not "equal amounts for everyone"! It is:

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need

And Al Gore follows that to a tee - he "needs more". :wave:

counts... then exactly that. EVERY BIT. climbing at snoqualmie has impact...you can take that impact away by not going.

you could have done your part by not buying a computer....

speaking of computers, simply powering down when not in use saves electricity and reduces your carbon footprint. how many folks out there do you think leave their computers on continuously?

For their next trick the conservatives on this board will now refute the silly ideas expressed by scientists about gravity. Furthermore Isaac Newton and Einstein those guys were full of shit too. :grlaf:

Kepler and Newton's concepts of motion and gravity are now known as LAWS. Are you proposing to give anthropogenic global warming the same stature?

counts... then exactly that. EVERY BIT. climbing at snoqualmie has impact...you can take that impact away by not going.

speaking of computers, simply powering down when not in use saves electricity and reduces your carbon footprint. how many folks out there do you think leave their computers on continuously?

I would think every big company out there leaves them on, updates usually run at night and computer has to be on.

I would think every big company out there leaves them on, updates usually run at night and computer has to be on.

we already know that big companies are evil.