Sustainable backpacking?

aussie69

Just wondering if anyone on here has any tips for extensive CHEAP backpacking in other countries for long periods of time.

Greatest question of all time is how to KEEP an income as you travel?

Just thought it'd be an intresting topic of which i'm sure everyone on here could benefit from

~peace~

Austin

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were in Thailand and Nepal last fall. The Khumbu is getting rather spendy... and no matter what you do you're looking at a minimum of $15-20+ / day for lodging and food. In Thailand you could get by on $8-10 / day if you can avoid the pull of good coffee and coconut shakes and can go without electricity at night.

The "maoist issue" made Nepal cheaper, except for the Khumbu which was "safe" so all the Westerners flocked there.

It all depends on how much of a tightwad you are.

No, I won't give out information. The stupid, lazy, and credit card bearing have already fucked up the world enough

Southeast asia is a cheap place to travel, particularly Indonesia, Laos, Nepal, and India. You can probably teach english to earn $. I didn't do that but know plenty who have. However, whatever you're making now will probably dwarf what you'll make overseas so saving now might be the better way to go. It may be different post-9-11, but people out there are awfully friendly - much more so than anywhere I've been in the US. Go for it!

The "maoist issue" made Nepal cheaper, except for the Khumbu which was "safe" so all the Westerners flocked there.

It all depends on how much of a tightwad you are.

No, I won't give out information. The stupid, lazy, and credit card bearing have already fucked up the world enough

Ditto for hypocrites... :grlaf:

Never cracked open a guidebook or a perused a website/forum for information before setting out?

the most fun trips/sidetrips I took this year were done without consulting a guidebook or the interweb, completely seat of the pants.

I find "sustainable" and backpacking amusing. It's not a sustainable point in the travel development scale (unless you consider the mega hostels of the Aussie Gold Coast "backpacking"), it's not sustainable at an environmental level, and it's not sustainable on a personal finance level. It's just self indulgent tourism that doesn't put as much money into the pockets of locals. As such, live it up while the gettings good.

I agree. I presume that you are not exempting yourself from these charges.

On my self-indulgent tourist escapades, nothing was more nauseating than the "I'm not a tourist, I'm a righteous and benevolent emissary of global understanding who's selflessly undertaken the task of righting the world's wrongs with my cultural astute and wholly altruistic choices in lodging, transport, and dining...etc" routine.

I'm not sure that one can make a factual case that rich people who fly to isolated resorts and drink cocktails from coconuts on private beaches, or the hordes disgorged from cruise-ships are less beneficial for the countries they visit than the backpacker set. Speaking from someone else's experience living in Africa for a couple of years, the ideal visitor would:

1)Spend large amounts of money impulsively.

2)Shut-up immediately.

3)Go-home quickly.

I'm not sure that one can make a factual case that rich people who fly to isolated resorts and drink cocktails from coconuts on private beaches, or the hordes disgorged from cruise-ships are less beneficial for the countries they visit than the backpacker set.

The main difference I noted, particularly in Indonesia, is that the luxury resorts required substantial bribes be paid to corrupt officials for construction and operation and were often owned by dummy fronts of corrupt officials. In at least one case the resort was constructed on land seized without compensation from locals. Large scale graft on every level, and the local workers were paid less than they would be otherwise (the resort jobs seemed to be mostly people from other islands who'd migrated).

At that level the tourist staying in a several room family owned and run guest house and eating at a family owned restaraunt is encouraging entrepeneurism at a local level and discouraging large scale corruption (the families likely pay bribes but thats a different scale of corruption).

I realize I'm a hedonistic hypocrite.

All of you missed the point of the question other then the dude suggesting teaching english. Self sustaining. I.e. continuous travel while bringing in an income. From others that were able to comprehend... the best oppertunity out there (i've heard so far) is an organization that boards, feeds, and MINIMALY pays you for farm work. Another suggestion would be to set up a web site an sell pictures you take from your travels. But that would take photography skills...

All of you missed the point of the question other then the dude suggesting teaching english. Self sustaining. I.e. continuous travel while bringing in an income. From others that were able to comprehend... the best oppertunity out there (i've heard so far) is an organization that boards, feeds, and MINIMALY pays you for farm work. Another suggestion would be to set up a web site an sell pictures you take from your travels. But that would take photography skills...

You may have thrown off everyone with the title of "Sustainable backpacking?" Sustainable climbing perhaps would have yielded you more succinct input. Give nwhikers.com a try. :wave:

The self-appointed world traveler police are quick to draw their (insubstaintial) weapons here and start shooting. They are quite sensitive and precious.

I would suggest just heading out there and keeping your eyes and ears open for opportunity. Be friendly and keep an open mind. You'll have no trouble finding work or whatever you're looking for.

wow Carl thanks!...did you think I was talking about you? geez....go figure!

you're not one of those types are you?...I mean, you're always PMing me for travel advice...I'm sure I could dig up one of those messages here...

Oh my. Behold the hardcore travel-insider's equivalent of a Larry Craig moment, complete with tales of electronic toe-tapping, resurfacing at the most inopportune time...