Motivation Waning

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My ride is only ~ 3 miles each way, but it's been an everyday thing, even during those balmy winter days that the Northeast is famous for - and one surefire way to keep the motivation going is to wake up each morning certain of the fact that no matter how unpleasant the ride is, getting to work any other way would suck far more.

The funny thing about riding to work in the winter is that I think I'm often warmer and more comfortable than the folks in their cars - since after about a minute of riding I'm totally warm, and their still hunched over, freezing their asses off while waiting for the heat/defrost to kick-in, and they have to deal with all of the headaches and hassles of driving in a dense-urban area in winter conditions.

My ride is only ~ 3 miles each way, but it's been an everyday thing, even in the balmy winter days that the Northeast is famous for - and one surefire way to keep the motivation going is to wake up each morning certain of the fact that no matter how unpleasant the ride is, getting to work any other way would suck far more.

The funny thing about riding to work in the winter is that I think I'm often warmer and more comfortable than the folks in their cars - since after about a minute of riding I'm totally warm, and their still hunched over, freezing their asses off while waiting for the heat/defrost to kick-in, and they have to deal with all of the headaches and hassles of driving in a dense-urban area in winter conditions.

Well, I bus when I don't ride, and it's not cold here. It's the rain that gets to me... the prospect of getting dripped on in 40 degree temps and soaked, and having all the road grit collect on my gears, and messenger bag.

I bike 2-3 times a week doing about 6 miles one way.

Here's my motivator. God tries to throw this weather stuff at me to see if I am a wimp. When I am out there and it is raining hard, it is dark, and about 35 degrees...I ask for more...and ask God if he can throw more at me. I never quit.

Plus, I take it up as training for my climbing. When I know all of us in the climbing party are soaked and cold...I just know I can take more of the weather crap becuase of the experience on the bike. Hell, the Ruskies and the Polish are hard core freaks for bad weather climbing. We Americans are wimps.

I bike 2-3 times a week doing about 6 miles one way.

Here's my motivator. God tries to throw this weather stuff at me to see if I am a wimp. When I am out there and it is raining hard, it is dark, and about 35 degrees...I ask for more...and ask God if he can throw more at me. I never quit.

Plus, I take it up as training for my climbing. When I know all of us in the climbing party are soaked and cold...I just know I can take more of the weather crap becuase of the experience on the bike. Hell, the Ruskies and the Polish are hard core freaks for bad weather climbing. We Americans are wimps.

Have you ever biffed it in the winter? I took a fall last Jan on some black ice. I ride a road bike with fairly thin tires.

My ride is only ~ 3 miles each way, but it's been an everyday thing, even in the balmy winter days that the Northeast is famous for - and one surefire way to keep the motivation going is to wake up each morning certain of the fact that no matter how unpleasant the ride is, getting to work any other way would suck far more.

The funny thing about riding to work in the winter is that I think I'm often warmer and more comfortable than the folks in their cars - since after about a minute of riding I'm totally warm, and their still hunched over, freezing their asses off while waiti

ng for the heat/defrost to kick-in, and they have to deal with all of the headaches and hassles of driving in a dense-urban area in winter conditions.

Well, I bus when I don't ride, and it's not cold here. It's the rain that gets to me... the prospect of getting dripped on in 40 degree temps and soaked, and having all the road grit collect on my gears, and messenger bag.

1). Consider being out in every kind of weather mental/physical conditioning that may help you cope when conditions turn to shit in the mountains, and/or survive an epic.

2). Invest in gear that makes riding in the rain more comfortable. Nothing will keep you totally dry, but some works better than others for this. I tend to favor breathable, "water resistant" fabrics over laminates for riding in the rain, as the hot/sweaty/soaked feeling gets to me more than the soaked feeling. I assume you already have good fenders on the bike?

1). Consider being out in every kind of weather mental/physical conditioning that may help you cope when conditions turn to shit in the mountains, and/or survive an epic.

2). Invest in gear that makes riding in the rain more comfortable. Nothing will keep you totally dry, but some works better than others for this. I tend to favor breathable, "water resistant" fabrics over laminates for riding in the rain, as the hot/sweaty/soaked feeling gets to me more than the soaked feeling. I assume you already have good fenders on the bike?

I ride in those stretch pants, and wear my marmot precip for my top. No, I don't have fenders...

I have a mountain bike too, and am debating if that will be my winter ride (with thinner tires)

Have you ever biffed it in the winter? I took a fall last Jan on some black ice. I ride a road bike with fairly thin tires.

I have hit those posts on the entrances to the bicycle paths twice and flew both times. My head was down, it was dark, and it was raining. But for some reason, I have never hit black ice. But then again, I now have tread on my tires. I have found in the past that if I go with bare tread I get more flats.

I ride in those stretch pants, and wear my marmot precip for my top. No, I don't have fenders...

I have a mountain bike too, and am debating if that will be my winter ride (with thinner tires)

I'd get the fenders on whatever you choose to ride, and ditch the precip in favor of something a bit more breathable, and maybe get some cold-weather cycling pants. I think they make some that are waterproof/windproof on the front/ breathable on the back of the legs. Ditto for tops - more wind/water resistant on the front-side, breathable on the sides and/or back. Getting waterproof shoe-covers that extend up to your ankles also makes a huge difference.

I have hit those posts on the entrances to the bicycle paths twice and flew both times. My head was down, it was dark, and it was raining. But for some reason, I have never hit black ice. But then again, I now have tread on my tires. I have found in the past that if I go with bare tread I get more flats.

I have almost hit one of those posts too ... on the I90 trail

I saw the black ice and went very slow, but as soon as I started the turn, I wiped out. I'd hate to do that going 20+ mph

I'd get the fenders on whatever you choose to ride, and ditch the precip in favor of something a bit more breathable, and maybe get some cold-weather cycling pants. I think they make some that are waterproof/windproof on the front/ breathable on the back of the legs. Ditto for tops - more wind/water resistant on the front-side, breathable on the sides and/or back. Getting waterproof shoe-covers that extend up to your ankles also makes a huge difference.

You bastards, now I have no excuse! Except for snow/ice, then I can puss out.

I'm not sure about water proof pants... I don't get too miserable in the stretch pants unless it really pours. But the jacket needs replaced. I have the shoe-covers but they are only water resistant and soak up really fast... gotta get waterproof ones this year.

I ride minimum 24 mi RT every day, longer if it's dry. So--

1) If it's wet I just think how uncomfortable I'd be on the bus. WTF - on rare occassions when I ride I feel like I'm suffocating and with the heat on STUN setting. I look around and no one is sweating, just reading their books or dozing.

2) Stress relief. Better to unwind on the way home.

3) Getting older but not fatter. Think pulling the plastic is hard in the winter, just add 5 lbs or so.

4) Your minor contribution to eco-commuting.

5) Remind youself of Kathryn Hepburn. When she was interviewed by Diane Sawyer late in her career she was asked about her swimming in her pond at her Conn. home in winter. Did she enjoy it? No -- Then why do you do it? Her reply was "To make my neighbors feel weak".

Also - loosen up the settings on the clipless pedals if you have them (another thing worth getting if you dont have them...way safer/more efficient than the other options)

I have the low-end clips (SPD?) and cheap shoes. The clips are pretty loose - I keep tightening them. I bought a middle end touring bike last year, and have used it enough to justify the 1K price tag, but just barely. :-)

Plus you'll always have the upper-hand when some sanctimonious dickweed that thinks he should be sainted for the momentous sacrifice he made by buying a Prius starts talking smack about his eco-virtue.

Love seeing people driving the Prius 3-4 miles to work with the "Live Simply So That Others May Simply Live" stickers on the back of their cars.

I used to be a weather wuss. Then I put fenders on my bike and bought some lobster gloves. Now, I bike 75-100 miles a week, year-round. Knowing the black ice is lurking out there sucks, but, other than that, riding in the wet and cold is good in it's own way.

You get to experience the power of the season head-on: the November wind whipping your face, the smell of leaves rotting, the sting of rain when it hits you on that 30mph down-hill, the taste of roadspray. Best of all, the looks of pity and amazement you get from folks huddled behind glass in their heated cars...makes you feel like you're a wild thing.

There's some good energy out there, all for the taking. Now get on your bike and get some for yourself! :tup: