Stupidity with a climbing rope

JBo6

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fer sure HOR! BUT, Middendorf talks about doing this, and the fall tweaked his back so bad that he could barely walk after his jump, and his back still is ruined to this day evidently.

So, in the video where the fella jumps wayyyy out...that gets him an oblique, swinging angle that results in less force on the rope and the body. I think doubling the rope and using 2 static lines or webbing for an anchor, having the rope get a clear shot to the ground and not be over an edge like he has, along with an oblique jump angle...say a swing instead of a slam, would be things to keep in mind and look at. The effect of doubling up the climbing rope would be to increase the impact force ....not desirable. Also, different mfgs ropes have better (or worse) elongation/impact force numbers...something to keep in mind.

Also, Dannos #1 concern was that the rope could wrap around his neck (or another body part) and kill him...so body position as you jump relative to where the rope is would be one of the prime concerns as your feet clear the span. Having spotters paying attention to all these details and double checking everything would be helpful as well I'd think.

Bryan (Powderhound) might be back in town this summer and maybe we can set up a jump off his bridge. We can call that "Stupidity with a climbing rope part 2" or something equally witty:-)

:wave:

Also, if you run the rope(s) under the bridge and jump from the opposite site that it is anchored, you will get more swing angle. Course, you'd want to make sure the rope(s) would not rub/catch like it did in this incident. Some screamers :eek: might soften the ride too?

Maybe when I was in my 20's but certainly not now. Looks like fun though.

Edited by denalidave

I have no desire to do this over bungee jumping.

Why make your body absorb that kind of force?

My father, brother and an ex-girlfriend had chronic back problems.

It compromises the fun factor in ALL aspects of life.

Bunjee jumping still gives you the fall rush and absorbs the shock.

Maybe when I was in my 20's but certainly not now. Looks like fun though.

Well you're no fun! See if you get invited - BTW, how old are you?

(good advice on the under the bridge tie off thing.)

Old enough, but not as old as you're crusty ass! :lmao: It's not so much the years as it is the mileage with me though (rode hard and put to bed wet, er somethin like that). I think I'll be forty soon but let me get out my kacalater.

It looks like he may have learned something - his commment further down the page in the link states that he would do things differently if he were to do it again - by that, I think he means regarding protecting the rope from the edge.

That edge was a pair of 45s rather than a 90 degree edge so you can guess what would happen on a big fall across, for example, a nice sharp flake....

It does give me a bit of comfort seeing that the kernel of the rope held together at all, given the forces it was subjected to.

His soloing wasnt that stupid but I think his rope jumping was....

yeah, well...i witnessed his dumbass soloing at the new river and "in control" is not a word i would use to describe him soloing...

i've seen footage of his cave route jug hauling and those routes seemed "wired"...that's fine, but that's not something i would say he routinely employed...

he was just a "matter of time"...IMO