Soft Shell Question

troubleski

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny pindude, you're not my type-

dude, the alphacomp sv doesn't even have HOOD so if you're considering this as you're ALL AROUND jacket you're seriously misinformed, and you don't want to go talk to a gear head in an outdoor shop about it.

whatever.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

Rumor going around is that Schoeller Dynamic is less durable than other softshell fabrics ....maybe I read it here, can't remember...anyhow, anyone have this experience?

Yeah you read it in the post above yours! [laf]

...so I'm anwsering questions about the various softshells, and softshell vs. hard, at work the other day, letting him know what his options were with the different fabrics.

I'm trying to get the guy into a new softshell coat for the winter.

He's all ears, and after a few minutes he breaks in with something like, "man, you have just given THE BEST presentation on shell technology I have ever seen! Consise, accurate, all the options presented objectively, right on the money! If there were guys like you in every store... do you mind if I mention you in an upcoming meeting?"

Dude was a Gore spy, checking up on the shops. So I don't know it all, but I'll try not to give you any bad beta on non-technical gear issues, promise.

[ 11-04-2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Beck ]

8' s right about the prime piece/marine climate, also, shred maximus is correct, soft shells market selling price point is expected to drop significantly in the next 18 months (three buying cycles) due to "dumping" by fabric manufacturers,

akin to the goretex debacle in the last 3 years brought on by TNF's blanketed, aggressive pursuit of a market they didn't deserve to dominate.

exciting new technology in soft shells this season, LOTS of options, still becomes the piece you will wear 75-90% of the time, even in this climate.

[ 11-04-2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Beck ]

quote:

Originally posted by troubleski:

Ok... so they are pretty pricy... but does anyone have any thoughts on the Acr'Teryx Alpha Comp SV? I am looking for a main outter layer for skiing and climbing. What do y'all think?

-Troub

If I could only own one jacket it would be the Arc'teryx Gamma SV (actually it would probably be a hard shell, but thats beside the point). I've used it for everything (skiing, climbing, "on the town"). It is pricy ($240) and if I had paid that much it would have still been more than worth it. The only drawback I can think of is it doesn't have pit zips, but most of the soft shells I've seen don't. I don't know about the Acr'Teryx Alpha Comp SV, but if it resembles the Gamma SV, then buy it.