New-style Screamers

Colin

The new-style Yates Screamers have a shrink-wrapped rubber/plastic covering to keep the "wings" in, while the old-style ones had a sleeve of elastic.

I think that this is probably a better option overall, because the stupid elastic things were always sliding down, but I was wondering about one thing. When the main body of the sling gets wet, does it take forever for it to dry out under that rubber tube? Are the new-style screamers more prone to mildew?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Colin:

I think that this is probably a better option overall, because the stupid elastic things were always sliding down

An easy way to solve that problem is with two 1/2 inch wide pieces of athletic tape. One at the top and one around the bottom. Thus you can inspect the screamer, and it doesnt flop all over.

Cheers [big Drink]

[ 10-25-2002, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Ibex ]

quote:

Originally posted by Colin:

Are the new-style screamers more prone to mildew?

Is this anything to worry about? That is, is mildew known or hypothesized to degrade the strength of nylon, or are you just worried about stinky screamers?

Stinky screamers! I'll bet Trask would like to comment on that one.

It seems like the cover will also protect them from UV degradation.

Getting 'em wet and drying them out over and over seems like it could degrade them just as bad or worse than having them coexist with mildew. I don't think water has any effect on nylon by the way.

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

Yup--thats the new kind.

Maybe thats what I'll do to make some home-made screamers out of tripple length runners: bunch them up then dip them in tool dip.

Yeah, thats the ticket.

I would think twice about the tool dip idea (if you're serious). Obvious possible chemical imbalance. I like the duct tape idea. Didn't someone mention duct tape? Of course, if your phuchers didn't drink so much, you could afford one of the cool new ones. [big Grin]

• 2 weeks later...

I have some of both. The old style ones are duct taped. No real difference from the new ones in terms of use. Cavey's picture is of a shorty I have the longer ones (shock absorbing qualities are slightly different). I use them ice climbing but haven't had a lot of problems with either types getting wet and drying out. I use a lot of duct tape to keep the water out.

Yates' Web Site