Huckleberries?

selkirk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red huckleberries on the trail to Static Point are just awesome. They are more numerous, larger and sweeter than I have ever seen them. They are gorgeous.

The red ones just aren't the same. An ok substitute but it's all about the purple ones! The darker the color the better :tup::tup:

There are a ton out by my place. You gotta fight the bears for them though, they are very bold this year.

Now how big a ton are we talking and where do you live! Bears don't usually bother me, besides don't you have big guns?

I remember a few years in north Idaho where there were enough huckleberries that my step-dad spent 1/2 an hour picking in the same spot 20 ft from a bear doing the same thing :P

I tripped over some Salmon Berries about last month wandering by myself in a lonely creek drainage @ the 2500' level in the high country that were the biggest I'd ever seen, ever.

They were almost the size of golf balls. They were not correspondingly sweet, but that didn't stop me from eating every damn one I could gather. I suspect that they should be ripe at the 3,000-3500 ' level now.

They looked like the ones on the right, lighter orange color, but over twice the size. A-friggan-mazing.

farmstay-b&b-0037.jpg

Only saw 3-4 plants in that area, searched around for more..but alas.

The red huckleberries on the trail to Static Point are just awesome. They are more numerous, larger and sweeter than I have ever seen them. They are gorgeous.

The red ones just aren't the same. An ok substitute but it's all about the purple ones! The darker the color the better :tup::tup:

The purple ones are harder to find. They are closely related to blueberries. I know where there are lots of them but I'm not saying where. It's not easy to get to anyway.

The purple ones are harder to find. They are closely related to blueberries. I know where there are lots of them but I'm not saying where. It's not easy to get to anyway.

Comparing purple huckleberries to blueberries is sacrilege!!! Burn the heretic!

And my wife found an endless field a couple of years ago that seems to be completely undiscovered despite it's excessive ease of access.

On a sidenote there are only 5 perfect foods.

Fresh Huckleberries

Frozen Huckleberries in a bowl

Huckleberry Pie

Huckleberry Margaritas

and

Mincemeat pie with Venison

And huckleberry margarita's are by far the most fun. Besides which they turn your mouth an amusing shade of purple :)

how much ease of access is there before it is considered "excessive" if no one is using it as an access?

I want huckleberry jam

:eveeel: It's right off the road next to a parking lot. I can't tell you where it is though or Mrs. Selkirk will kill me slowly.