man pilots lawnchair + balloons across Oregon

octavius

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Th elittle local pizza place had a party the other day and sent a manaquin up outfitted like Walters.

I watched it rise maybe to 9 or 10K, then hang and move towards the airport. I lost interest shortly thereafter.

I wondered what would happen if the wind knocked something loose and it fell from that height. :)

-r

I wonder how it was he used up so much ballast? It may be those balloons leak a lot of helium. I'd want to have more than 8 lbs of ballast in reserve for the landing. I assume he used the GPS as an "altimeter". That would be the most important gadget to have. You need to know the rate at which you are rising or falling, which could be difficult to discern other than a small sensation of wind.

In real CBS fashion here's your answer CBS ;).

Helium transits the membrane of the balloon by osmosis. Two significant factors are that helium is highly active the higher he got along with the increased UV the faster the helium transits. Also the surface area Gives more membrane available which speeds up the process.

In the "balloneering" sculptures I have worked on the way we control it is to use 5' and 8' balloons so as to get more gas with less surface area. Of course a "Real Ballooneer" just wears a chute harness and doesn't have a chair to kick back on. :D I'm told it's a little uncomfortable to have a few hundred pounds of ballast hanging from your harness while you have the balloons lifting from the other side.

as well as an attack by a plane launched from a sub that dropped a couple of bombs to start forest fires

And survived a terrorist food attack by the bogwan whateverhisnameis

the bagwan shie rashniesh?

I want a rainbow rolls-royce!