Very newbe question

crazycamper

How do you all feel when people are watching you climb, I'm just getting into the sport and like to observe exp. climbers. I'm heading to the Index walls next week to take a short vacation and maybe do some bouldering and maybe catch a few climbers climbing.

Peace

D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching certainly won't hurt, but your best bet is to read some of the classic instructional books, practice what you can on your own, and then find an experienced climber that's willing to head out with your for a day. Check how they climb, how they rack their gear, how they place their pro, build their anchors, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I learn a lot from watching others climb - no matter what their skill or technique level.

Obviously the best is to climb with some folks who are experienced - then you get the best of both worlds (observation and practice).

JayB- its interesting you say read books. For me, I have a hard time understanding/applying what I read until I actually get out and watch or do it myself . So I guess whatever your learning style/strength is the way you should go.

To answer your questions, crazycamper- do what works for you. Ive never been to index, but I kind of envision it as a bunch of climbers pretty focused on their goals for the day (training ground). Maybe shoot on down the road a little further to l'worth and see if you can meet up with some folks. Possibly even smith. I could be wrong, but I see those two areas a little more friendly to striking up conversation, some rides on a rope, and meeting potential partners.

Have fun!

I learn a lot from watching others climb - no matter what their skill or technique level.

Obviously the best is to climb with some folks who are experienced - then you get the best of both worlds (observation and practice).

JayB- its interesting you say read books. For me, I have a hard time understanding/applying what I read until I actually get out and watch or do it myself . So I guess whatever your learning style/strength is the way you should go.

To answer your questions, crazycamper- do what works for you. Ive never been to index, but I kind of envision it as a bunch of climbers pretty focused on their goals for the day (training ground). Maybe shoot on down the road a little further to l'worth and see if you can meet up with some folks. Possibly even smith. I could be wrong, but I see those two areas a little more friendly to striking up conversation, some rides on a rope, and meeting potential partners.

Have fun!

The book thing is at least partly to protect the brand-new climber so he'll have some basis by which to evaluate what the experienced person is telling him. An extreme example is the woman who went out with an "expert climber" who set up a top-rope for her in which the rope ran right through the webbing. Worked fine on the way up, unfortunately, not so well after she weighted the rope and began the lowering process.

This kind of thing is super-rare and not really a problem, but I still think it's useful to know if someone is doing something really crazy and attempting to pass it off as "the only way," doesn't protect a traverse properly, etc....

Climbing is like sex.

The rock and I share the experience and what "works" for me might not be useful to the observer.

If you are watching someone climb for instructional purposes, try to find someone with a similar body, size, weight, shape, etc and same gender.

For instance, I am kind of big-boned and stalky. If I climb with someone tall and thin, we are going to approach lots of problems differently.

I find it helpful to watch someone far better than I am climb something that i am having trouble with. When I am in a fist-fight with a route, watching someone dance up gracefully gets me to quit fighting so hard and relax my way up a route. MHO

that is well put. I get totally stoked watching people climb. i have learned more sitting and watching and talking to and belaying great climbers than i would have learned any other way. i have had good luck talking to people and asking questions.

like JB said... read some books. meet some climbers. offer to belay. ask questions.

when you are climbing somewhere like Smith, you can't really ask people to not watch you climb. and i don't mind as long as they don't mind watching me flayel around all over some beautiful piece of rock, and and curse because i curse up a storm when i am falling or trying to NOT fall.

I find it helpful to watch someone far better than I am climb something that i am having trouble with. When I am in a fist-fight with a route, watching someone dance up gracefully gets me to quit fighting so hard and relax my way up a route. MHO

I'm with my buddy High on this, too. If I'm sketchy about a particular route, watching someone style it first gives me a good visual model for my own efforts to send it(even though I may fall far short.) Unfortunately, being open to this external influence has also worked against me, as I find it hard to style a route after I've just watched someone panic and flail. Can be a little hard to shake the bad vibes.

Still, watching someone climb beautifully, or do anything beautifully, for that matter, is inspiring.

WOW - this doucebag hit it right on the nose. Taking the time right now i your infant stage to smooth out technique, rather than chasing numbers will pay off in the end. And you'll enjoy climbing in all phases.

BUT - ferpetesakes. Dont study the bad climbers. Banging feet, miss reading routes, asses hanging out like crack whore on Aurora. Build your core

:yoda:

I recommend using tact and common sense when observing others climbing. And I agree it's inspiring to watch great climbers, just don't be obnoxious about it. And I vote for at least a little bit of reading. For instance John Long's books about anchors have revolutionized how I set anchors and dramatically improved my safety. Books are not always alot of fun, but when your ass is hanging over 500 feet of air it's nice to be confident in how you do things...

• 2 weeks later...
How do you all feel when people are watching you climb, I'm just getting into the sport and like to observe exp. climbers. I'm heading to the Index walls next week to take a short vacation and maybe do some bouldering and maybe catch a few climbers climbing.

Peace

D

So how did it go?

I hate it when people watch me, because it makes me lose concentration

I used to be that way. I especially hate(d) - I guess I still do - climbing in the gym or crowded crags because I felt distracted. I learned it benefited me greatly, as a person and a climber, to work on my concentration and focus by not avoiding those situations. Though I dont enjoy being around a lot of people when climbing, I have definately increased my tolerance and improved how it affects my climbing/concentration.

I also didnt mean to imply reading was a worthless way to go while learning. For me, and those who may have a similar learning style, reading - then understanding/doing, just doesnt work well. I have to read/do/read/do/do/do/read/do/etc. Im a much better visual and hands on learner.

Im also curious how your trip to smith went.

I hate it when people watch me, because it makes me lose concentration

I used to be that way. I especially hate(d) - I guess I still do - climbing in the gym or crowded crags because I felt distracted. I learned it benefited me greatly, as a person and a climber, to work on my concentration and focus by not avoiding those situations. Though I dont enjoy being around a lot of people when climbing, I have definately increased my tolerance and improved how it affects my climbing/concentration.

I also didnt mean to imply reading was a worthless way to go while learning. For me, and those who may have a similar learning style, reading - then understanding/doing, just doesnt work well. I have to read/do/read/do/do/do/read/do/etc. Im a much better visual and hands on learner.

Im also curious how your trip to smith went.

whos trip me! j/k. Hows Minnnesotaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Can't say I miss going to grad school there =)

my first day out this spring I was scaring myself on the bouldery start to some 'einous 5.8 and some dood wandered up with his teenager and started gawking and chattering behind me and distracting me. So I told him I didn't want an audience. And he laughed at me. So I told him I was serious. And he says all smarmy -like "You'll just have to get used to it". So I told him to fuck off. And so he shouts "HEY FUCK YOU!" at me ... then walks off ... which is what I wanted in the first place and I finished the climb in peace. And then a while later as I was sitting at the base belaying my partner up he creeps back and stands in the bushes nearby and stares at me and starts trying to be all menacing "go on... do your worst you fucking piece of shit..." etc. I had to try very hard not to laugh at him. What a weirdo.

That is both creepy and kinda sad. I can't believe he would talk to someone like that in front of his teen--like kids need any more encouragement to be rude.

Good for you for speaking up for yourself! I have never liked being watched but I've never had the balls to tell a person to bugger off.